Menu

Never heard of this before…..????

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion Never heard of this before…..????

• Creator
    Topic
    BrianBrian
    Participant

Never heard of this before…..????

A co-worker of mine recently had to have his Dodge “RAM” (Non-Hemi) towed to his house due to a WOT condition that shut the truck down according to him while leaving a parking lot after his lunch break. So anyway a few days later he shows up with the truck and I asked what was the verdict? He told me his mechanic told him that a couple of plastic grocery bags were sucked up through his OEM air box and got stuck in his throttle body causing it to go WOT on him. Now personally I have never heard this or seen this ever happen…… (I asked him did you even have a an Air filter in it?!… He responded…”Yes”.) > Okay then…. :whistle:

Comments???

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      allen butlerallen butler
      Participant

I’m a little dubious. It would be extremely hard for bags to get sucked it to the intake as it is obscured from direct air flow. Even if they somehow made it in to the intake the filter would catch them and the engine would probably shut down due to air restriction.

Coty MillerCoty Miller
        Participant

um… well… uh… yeeaah, maybe he pissed his wife off and she listens to WAY to much country music…

BrianBrian
          Participant

Exactly!
            Even his mechanic said he had never seen anything like that before.
            I told him that it had to be someone that had access to his truck that could get to his engine bay and purposely put it there. He is not married and as far as I know does not have a girlfriend but still… very weird, he does claim his truck was in fact locked when he came out of the restaurant. Either way very weird… I have never heard or seen anything like that, and I would love to talk to his mechanic and ask why he did not take any pictures of it!

*He also did however claim that his air filter was in fact damaged from the plastic bags being forced into the intake box, and had to purchase a new filter….. Hmmmmm.

KonradKonrad
            Participant

Automotive air filters are able to filter dust out of the air. A plastic bag is bigger than a dust particle. Think about it. An air filter is pretty tough and it’s well secured inside an air box. Try pushing a finger through an air filter – it’s a strong material. How would a light plastic bag get through an air filter and get all the way to the throttle body? I smell BS.

I once blocked off an intercooler outlet with a rag while doing repairs on an engine and forgot about the rag. That rag ended up getting sucked up and stuck in the throttle body. This was a drive by wire car. The throttle went into limp mode immediately and disabled any throttle input. It idled a little high but that was about it.

Coty MillerCoty Miller
              Participant

I wonder if the mechanic will tell you there was a sensor failure and won’t know what you’re talking about :whistle:

Then again maybe he was just drunk and forgot to take the plastic bag off of the air filter…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…