Menu

New guy here

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only New guy here

• Creator
    Topic
    Anthony YakonickAnthony Yakonick
    Participant

In the business since 72, Ford tech since 82 and the same dealership since 88. You may ask why so long at the same dealer??? It’s 5 minutes from home, I’m home for lunch every day and after work I’m home before most get on the highway!!!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jason WhiteJason White
      Participant

Hello Yak. You’re definitely a veteran of this business. What do you think of the business now as when you started? Going on 29 years at the same dealership, wow. We have a receptionist that has been in our store for almost that long. This is a business where the wheels on the tool boxes never stop rolling. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. I have been at the same dealership (nissan) for the past 3.5 years, and there are only two techs that have been there longer. Everyone else is newer. A lot of the guys have been there a couple years total, but what seems to happen is they “find a better offer” and off they go. A couple months later, they want to come back.

turoturo
        Participant

Wow man thats almost unheard of these days. Like jason said the guys from my generation see better offers supposedly and off they go bouncing from shop to shop . I was at the same nissan dealer for 4 years before i made the leap over to infiniti but i think i may have found my home. Or so it seems that way right now haha. Almost 30 years with Ford is very remarkable. You probably still have some discontinued parts laying around for my old svo somewhere huh haha

Anthony YakonickAnthony Yakonick
          Participant

Including the service manager, who started as a tech, there are 5 techs with over 28 years in the shop. We just had another one leave after 25 years. I’m old, tired, jaded and I hurt but, I keep up with or surpass most half my age.

Steve O'RourkeSteve O’Rourke
            Participant

That’s awesome Yak!!! I totally understand why you’ve stayed so long. Good on ya mate!!!

I got a late start in the trade in 2005 at the age of 31. I started out at a Honda dealer and honestly planned to retire out of there, but politics and bullshit forced me to try to find a better place not in the name of money oddly enough, but simply for happiness and skill advancement.

After a few years of rolling my tool box into bout a half dozen or so different shops, I finally found a place I can feel comfy in.

Unfortunately it’s an hour from home, but my boss is great and he treats me amazing and gives me lots of freedom and room to grow.

Haha I’m starting to hurt a bit too and I can totally tell when I haven’t been taking my glucosamine and chondroitin regularly LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuval YeomanYuval Yeoman
              Participant

Hey Yak
                I started my apprenticeship in a Ford Dealership in England in 1979. After completing my apprenticeship I moved to Canada. However, in England you get assigned to a Master Tech or Mentor. I just heard that my Mentor Al is still there and is due to retire but hasn’t yet. So, how long has he been there: 42YEARS!!!!! But, you have him beat. He doesn’t go home for lunch.

Cheers
                Yuvy

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…