Menu

new tech hired in no tools

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only new tech hired in no tools

• Creator
    Topic
    BenBen
    Participant

I HAVE BEEN ASKING AROUND FOR ADVICE ON DEALING WITH TECH GETTING HIRED ON AT MY PAY OR A LITTLE UNDER AND NOT ONE TOOL TO THIER NAME I GET IN ARGUMENTS WITH THEM AND MY BOSS IS LIKE JUST GET ALONG AM I AN IDIOT I HAVE BORROWED WHEN I STARTED OUT BUT JUST A FEW TIMES THEN I BOUGHT MY OWN BUT IT SEEMS KNOW GUYS DONT WANT TO BUY THIER OWN AND CALL ME A JERK .

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BruceBruce
      Participant

A man that doesnt have any tools aint borrowing anything from me. And if he calls me a jerk, thats fine. Wont bother me one bit.

davedave
        Participant

why even put up with that crap… roll out and find a new job.

CameronCameron
          Participant

What kind of shop and repair is it?

Tell the tech to bite the pillow on a General Starter set off of a tool truck next time one rolls around. Sure, most are $400, but then they can’t use the “no time for Sears” excuse. :side:

ChevypowerChevypower
            Participant

I always let people borrow my tools, but if a guy comes into the shop with less than me:

http://www.craftsman.com/hand-tools-sets-mechanics-tool-sets/s-1305580?keywordSearch=false&sortOption=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&previousSort=ORIGINAL_SORT_ORDER&viewItems=12&viewType=list

I tell them: Order online, you little shit. :stick:

redfuryredfury
              Participant

How can you even come into a shop without tools? Especially if you are going to be a mechanic! I mean, lube boy that helps out and does various menial tasks maybe, but working on cars outright, you need at least a basic set of tools..that should be part of the hiring process..making sure the guy can actually work.

BrianBrian
                Participant

Very good topic.
                  I am in the process of changing over careers and am investing in tools a little with every paycheck until my last day where I am currently at..(Non- auto. Tech. related.) It is expensive but necessary, I am very cautious when letting people borrow tools only because I have had tools stolen from me I don’t know how many times in the past. It really makes me not want to share with others, once I get into the Auto Tech. field professionally but unfortunately you also have to be a team player as well and I don’t want to come into a new career as being a “Jerk” as well.
                  I suppose really the best way to save yourself some amount of headache would be to carry all your good tools in a separate box they can’t get to, and keep the Sears brand stuff where if they borrow/steal or lose it…. won’t make you too angry.

Or

*I guess you could if possible make the individual sign a hand receipt for any tool borrowed out of your “Locked” tool chest. They do that in some departments within the DoD making the individual responsible for the borrowed item. It may not be a legal binding document but it is still a document that can show… who, what, and when it was borrowed and or if since returned. At the very least it will give you an idea of what tools have gone missing and, or who keeps losing them and possibly take the documentation to shop mgt. if it keeps persisting in such a manner.

I knew a guy once that had his initials engraved/ etched on to every one of his tools, sockets, extensions, power tools.. you name it.

BruceBruce
                  Participant

[quote=”brnmw” post=60568]

I knew a guy once that had his initials engraved/ etched on to every one of his tools, sockets, extensions, power tools.. you name it.[/quote]

I work with a guy like that. He etches all his tools and on the plastic boxes they come in he writes “Not for sale or trade” with a paint stick.

redfuryredfury
                    Participant

My dad spray painted the ends on all of his tools with a rattle can…it wears off and looks ugly, but we knew the difference between his tools, and the ones he let me use. Any way you can mark your tools is a good idea…it’s not like you will ever sell them…break them yes, but never sell them.

davedave
                      Participant

rule #1: new techs hired with no tools get a blanket party.

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
                        Participant

[quote=”Superman” post=60663][quote=”brnmw” post=60568]

I knew a guy once that had his initials engraved/ etched on to every one of his tools, sockets, extensions, power tools.. you name it.[/quote]

I work with a guy like that. He etches all his tools and on the plastic boxes they come in he writes “Not for sale or trade” with a paint stick.[/quote]
                          I know lots of people who do that. Wait till you work in a shop with over 150 mechanics and your tool boxes are stored in a bay when you are on days off. You end up marking your tools, why? because maybe someone takes you tools and just says its theirs, how are you gonna prove it if you were on days off?

As for someone coming into a job like a mechanic without tools… i would blame the person who hired them for not asking “do you own your own tools”?

Anthony LambAnthony Lamb
                          Participant

I agree with W00DBar0n’s comment on blaming the guy who hired him, I have always thought it was part of the prerequisite of applying for mechanic job to have some of your own tools.

I have engraved most of tools just for peace of mind.
                            Also I try and work with the 3 times rule, if someone borrows it that many times the really need to buy their own or try a different way. It is a bit hard to be firm on people borrowing tools as they might have something you need to borrow vise versa but it does get really frustrating when it is the same people that are always borrowing the same tools, they are darn expensive to get a good set to get you going but once you have it you’ll have it for life.

DevonDevon
                            Participant

I’m a 2nd year apprentice and from day 1 , if I asked to borrow a tool more than 3 times . I wrote it down and bought them on my next pay. Now I have a full array of tools and I hardly have to ask for tools. I think that after a given amount of time, if you are serious about the trade you should invest some money.

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
                              Participant

Sounds more like your boss rather than you, is an idiot. Call me crazy, but aren’t managers, supervisors and lead techs supposed to help reduce conflicts (like this one) at work before it escalates? Hiring someone without the tools is a huge distraction for the guy and the other people [s]he works with. Your boss should be all over this problem like a cheap suit because it costs productivity.

What you could do is talk to the guy, tell him the straight scoop and that his not having tools is potentially a large problem and see if he really has a plan to deal with it. Maybe it’s a money issue or he doesn’t know the tool truck drivers yet enough to get some credit and score a basic set. Or maybe he doesn’t have a Sears card yet. Esplain the problem to him, give him some suggestions on how to solve it without borrowing from everyone else.

I work for an outfit with a lot of mechanics. Before they’re hired, they’re required to have a minimum set of specialty hand tools to do the work just to avoid this problem. They’re given the list and acknowledge the policy in writing. If they don’t or they don’t have a plan to get what they need in short order, they get canned.

I have a SnapOn decal on my cab that says: “THE LAST GUY WHO BORROWED MY TOOLS IS IN THE BOTTOM DRAWER.”

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
                                Participant

Sounds more like your boss rather than you, is an idiot. Call me crazy, but aren’t managers, supervisors and lead techs supposed to help reduce conflicts (like this one) at work before it escalates? Hiring someone without the tools is a huge distraction for the guy and the other people he works with. Your boss should be all over this problem like a cheap suit because it costs productivity.

What you could do is talk to the guy, tell him the straight scoop and that his not having tools is potentially a large problem and see if he really has a plan to deal with it. Maybe it’s a money issue or he doesn’t know the tool truck drivers yet enough to get some credit and score a basic set. Or maybe he doesn’t have a Sears card yet. Esplain the problem to him, give him some suggestions on how to solve it without borrowing from everyone else.

I work for an outfit with a lot of mechanics. Before they’re hired, they’re required to have a minimum set of specialty hand tools to do the work just to avoid this problem. They’re given the list and acknowledge the policy in writing. If they don’t or they don’t have a plan to get what they need in short order, they get canned.

I have a SnapOn decal on my cab that says: “THE LAST GUY WHO BORROWED MY TOOLS IS IN THE BOTTOM DRAWER.”

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
                                  Participant

[quote=”Sparks4184″ post=62111]

I have a SnapOn decal on my cab that says: “THE LAST GUY WHO BORROWED MY TOOLS IS IN THE BOTTOM DRAWER.”[/quote]
                                    This one?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…