Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • New Tech – Need Book Recommendation for Diesel

New Tech – Need Book Recommendation for Diesel

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion New Tech – Need Book Recommendation for Diesel

• Creator
    Topic
    davedave
    Participant

I have good news: I’ve been hired into my first technician job. But, there is a twist; I have a good solid background in automotive… the job I got though is working in a commercial/diesel truck shop. More than likely, I’ll be working at the maximum pay level for an entry level technician.

So, I am like a fish out of water. (I do have some commercial driving experience though and have several endorsements) Prior to my interview, I schooled myself on a bunch of diesel trivia just so I wouldn’t look stupid; torque specs, oil types and quantities, how to bust commercial truck tires, tire pressures, etc. I have 1 week before I start work. There will be company training on oil changes and tire servicing which is a good way for me to get my foot in the door. I plan to pursue diesel training during my tenure at the new job and plan to work my way up.

So, my question is: What is the best book to learn the ins and outs of diesel? What book do the best diesel schools use? What would you recommend?

Attachments:
    Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dollman0dollman0
      Participant

Newer technology is in the merger between Detroit Diesel and Mercedes. Kenworth now uses their own engine built by Paccar. Most of the transmissions are going to an auto-shift manual and the tower has problems as they get older.

There is a lot of free info out there if you take the time to read up on it. Fleet magazines are a good resources to see the newest trends with trucking companies.

You need a book on how diesel engines work, fuel systems, air to air coolers, turbos (Variable Geometry VGT) and related systems. believe it or not, old ASE study guides are a great book to better understand how truck systems work.

The book I used in college is around $200 and this is the ISBN number: 1401870643 http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Truck-Systems-Bennett/dp/1435483820
        This book covers truck systems and the only other books I used is one on diesel engines and electronic diagnostics. The instructors was cool about providing a master book on steering & suspension to save the students money buying books.

Lube, tires, wheel ends and brakes is most likely where you will do most of your work as you get into truck repair.

I hope this points you in the right direction and good luck with your new job B)

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…