Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • New tech, need help with ASE certification

New tech, need help with ASE certification

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only New tech, need help with ASE certification

• Creator
    Topic
    SalvadorSalvador
    Participant

My name is Salvador i am 19 years old,I just graduated high school yes I know it took me one more year than what it should have had. But during high school I took automotive classes and that was the best part of the day, I could not wait to get to class. That being said I worked my ass off out in the shop and in the classroom with book work. At the end it all paid off, I got a job at a local VolksWagen dealership, the manager said that I am the first kid he has hired in over 30 years straight out of high school without any automotive certifications to work on cars. He said that the reason I was hired was because of a letter of recommendation from my teacher, he also said that they would pay for all of my VolksWagen certifications. And that for every ASE certification I get I would get a raise and they would pay for the tests. I know I’m an investment to them. But I want to take my first steps to become ASE certified and eventually a ASE master technician. I was looking into it and found a G1 ASE certification and I was thinking that it could be a start to my ASE goal. I feel like it’ll prove that I want to succeed in the field. Well sorry for the long rant, but what do you guys think I should do. Wait a bit or go for it? By the way sorry I forgot to mention this I took 2 years of auto classes. And at the same time I helped out a local Semi shop. Thank you for your time!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

If you have two years of auto classes you should easily be able to pass the G1 in your sleep… If you would have to pay, I would say pass on it… If they pay for the test and will give you a raise, then go ahead…

If you feel uncomfortable about going in blindly on the tests, a study guide can be helpful…

This is my own personal opinion about all the tests based upon my experiences…

1. Air Conditioning and Heating – Lots of stuff about electronic controls… Heat questions were very easy… Still pisses me off that the “proper way” they say to remove a stuck heater hose is to slice it to remove and thus you will have to replace it…(Who REALLY does that?)… just grab some channel locks or pliers and gently twist…. Easy….

2. Automatic Transmissions – More than just R and R stuff… More detailed about internal problems (which quite frankly, I don’t care about or would even try to fix)… Surprisingly, I don’t think there was even one question about CVT transmissions…

3. Manual Transmissions – Toughest part is about differentials IMHO… While I do replace seals and so forth on RWD’s I have rarely set preload on these as well as analyzed tooth pattern wear as well as runout.. Coast, drive, face, flank, toe and heel…. ARGGHHH… I will look it up if I need to… LOL

4. Steering and suspension – Not really bad… I have a bit of experience here and working on Toyota/Lexus is very basic and they spoil you with the simplicity of their front ends…

5. Electrical – (This one I really overthought and thought it would be much tougher, but was actually not bad).. Studied Scanner Danner’s stuff for this one and was overprepared… Scanner Danner works at a much higher level…

6. Brakes – I thought this would be a pushover test, but there were some ambiguous questions in there.

7. Engine repair – Breezed through this one…. Compression tests, pistons… Seemed like a gimme test IMHO…

8. Engine performance – No issues… Just know some computer related stuff

Best of luck…

-Karl

SalvadorSalvador
        Participant

Thank you for the help, and thank you for taking the time to read it, I appreciate it.

Bryan CarterBryan Carter
          Participant

[quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=112179]Still pisses me off that the “proper way” they say to remove a stuck heater hose is to slice it to remove and thus you will have to replace it…(Who REALLY does that?)… just grab some channel locks or pliers and gently twist…. Easy….[/quote]

Ha ha! In my career as an engineer I’ve often had to type up R&R instructions, and let me tell you it’s standard operating procedure to recommend slicing the hose versus twisting it off with channel locks.

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”sal300350″ post=112182]Thank you for the help, and thank you for taking the time to read it, I appreciate it.[/quote]

NP…. It sounds like you are taking your profession seriously and want to excel…. Everyone here can respect that and wants to see that in a young person…

All the best…

-Karl

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”McWicked” post=112188][quote=”ToyotaKarl” post=112179]Still pisses me off that the “proper way” they say to remove a stuck heater hose is to slice it to remove and thus you will have to replace it…(Who REALLY does that?)… just grab some channel locks or pliers and gently twist…. Easy….[/quote]

Ha ha! In my career as an engineer I’ve often had to type up R&R instructions, and let me tell you it’s standard operating procedure to recommend slicing the hose versus twisting it off with channel locks.[/quote]

ARRGGGHHHH you PEOPLE!!!!!! 😛 😛 😛

You know, when engineers die, their penance in purgatory is having to work on the very stuff they designed!!! (replacing Timing belts on PT Cruisers and Studding Northstar engine Heads) 👿 👿 👿 :cheer:

Cheers,

-Karl

angelo paloumbisangelo paloumbis
                Participant

toyotakarl they really say slice? wtf!!!!! if you are replacing well then i can see that.
                  why not just use the torch instead LMAO

Rene PerezRene Perez
                  Participant

Invest some money on Motor Age Training study guides. I bought them because I myself want to jump on my ASE’s. They are pretty awesome study guides and give you a ton of information on the specific certification that you are desiring to get.
                    Remember, only you make the choice to progress in the industry. Don’t hold back on something that you know can better your future.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…