Menu

new to automotive

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk new to automotive

• Creator
    Topic
    FordaholicFordaholic
    Participant

Hello

My name is preston and im 14. i love cars/trucks and know a fair amount of stuff on them. But i dont have alot on money nor tools. what are some basic tools for working on fords???

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun_300Shaun_300
      Participant

Welcome to the forums Preston! Well you don’t need anything too fancy for the basics, I see you live in Canada so keep an eye on the Canadian Tire flyers for one of those big mastercraft maximum socket sets to go on sale. Same with their wrenches. Great tools for the price and also carry a lifetime warranty.

FordaholicFordaholic
        Participant

Ah sweet. Yea i live in Canada i kinda prefer Lordco (if you know what that is) it is a tool store. I dont know much about enignes though.

Anonymous

I was also about your age when I started taking an interest in cars. If I were you, I’d drop by a Ford dealership on a weekend or after school and see if you can talk with one of their techs about what tools they use, since you’re particularly interested in Fords. To be honest, as the other people stated, you really just start with a basic tool set and build up from there. If you’re into Fords, you should to consider starting with a SAE tool set, since they’re mostly based on North American platforms. Eventually, you’ll need SAE and Metric tools, but for now, just think about the essentials.

If you’re interested in doing an apprenticeship in auto repair, now’s a great time to start doing some homework on it. I have a stepson from Australia who recently finished his apprenticeship with Toyota in Perth and is now working on huge trucks at a gold mine in the Western Australian Outback and is bringing in a six figure income (he’s only 22 and he makes more money than I do). Since you live in a Commonwealth country, you have a lot more choices on where you can work and there is some serious money to be made if you’re willing to travel. There is a significant shortage of qualified technicians and mechanics in all Australian states except Western Australia and Queensland, since that’s where the BIG money is. Talk with your parents and see what they think.

FordaholicFordaholic
            Participant

Thanks zakmartin. I love great responses. I dont have a local ford dealer only one is 1 hour away (witch i cant drive there) and no one else can. My dad any i are working on putting a old international cornbinder body on a bronco frame. I have a 158 piece socket set from craftsman. Christmas is coming up and what sould i ask for welder? tools, if so what kind and what tools, air compresser??. I live with mom so i dont have a workshop but a tiny garage. Can you inbox me tools i need or should ask for for christmas. thanks

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
              Participant

Basic hands tools, a good jack and good jack stands, a work light, good work gloves, safety glasses, fire extinguisher, just start collecting
                your tools little by little. By the best tools you can afford if you plan on using them a lot.
                If you just keep reading forums and watching videos you’ll learn a lot.
                And for learning how engines work, I would start with some small engines like lawn mower engines, Haynes repair manuals makes a good small engine book
                and so does chiltons.

Good luck with starting your collection.

FordaholicFordaholic
                Participant

alright i guess ride on mowers? mabye start my own companie fixking them?

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                  Participant

Quoted From Fordaholic:

Yes, great idea. Thats all i used to do before i really got into cars.
                    Theres good money to be made in fixing them.

FordaholicFordaholic
                    Participant

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                      Participant

Yes, great idea. Thats all i used to do before i really got into cars.
                        Theres good money to be made in fixing them.

twiggytwiggy
                        Participant

Good luck! Take your time buying tools and buy as the need comes up.

FordaholicFordaholic
                          Participant

Great replys guys thanks alot. What are your fav tools

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                            Participant

Probably my air compressor.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                              Participant

Yeah.., Jacks are probably more important then an air compressor so I can see why.C:P

FordaholicFordaholic
                                Participant

Oh I dont have one yet but I can imagine it is good. My favorite probly the jack. Not sure why

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…