Menu

New vs remanufactured parts?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion New vs remanufactured parts?

• Creator
    Topic
    Jonathan StiverJonathan Stiver
    Participant

Maybe this has been beaten to death already, but I honestly never really put much thought into it before today – I just bought whatever was more readily available or cheaper. But it was brought to my attention that there is more than it would seem to this topic, and that remanufactured parts are often actually better than new ones, especially non-OEM new parts. So when I needed to replace a friend’s CV axle yesterday, I went to parts store A and they had a cheap brand new axle to offer, but comparing it to the one I pulled off it just seemed crappy quality, the materials, the finish, etc… Just felt like cheapo Chinese junk. So I held off on it and went to a different parts chain and they had a reman axle for a slightly higher price, and it looked as good or better than the original part I was replacing, so we went with that one. Was just wondering how typical this experience is, and any knowledge or advice anyone has on this would be much appreciated!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      IngvarIngvar
      Participant

My part buying philosophy is buy 2nd price from the cheapest up. Cheapest is cheapest. I also shoot for good in store warranty. And stay away from certain companies, like Aerial, or Bosch.
        Btw, MANY aftermarket companies have license from car manufacturers to release their parts to general public – and those are exactly same parts you call OEM.

Participant

Oh absolutely, for things like O2 sensors or bushings I try to find out the OE supplier and buy the brand. A few months ago I scored all 3 new motor mounts for my Mercedes made by lemforder for under $100, the OEM part just with the Mercedes emblem ground off for aftermarket sale! But my question is about like starters, axles, alternators, compressors, etc for reman vs new.

IngvarIngvar
          Participant

Actually starters and alternators you can reman yourself. Those are known to have handful of replaceable parts fail, and they can be purchased OTC. Brushes, capacitors, solenoids. Why do you think they want YOUR core back? As that’s what THEY do.
            I had several ac comps restored successfully. Quite easy to do actually.
            But have my word – THEY, when they reman your core, will put a CHEAPEST part ever and use CHEAPEST labor possible to do so. So one way or another – you end with your dreaded “cheap” anyway.
            I’d rather buy AM “new, not remanufactured” than a remanned one. Say, Honda distributors. $170 ALL NEW vs $230 remanned. Or, ac comps.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
            Participant

I was in a parts house one day when the counter clerk mentioned that there was a source of reman parts just a few miles down the road from where I live. One day I was headed that way, found the place and decided to stop for a visit. It was like I had stepped into a third world country, dirt floors, little illumination and no heat. People were working in overcoats.

I’m not saying every reman place is like this, I have only visited one, but it was a shock.

As for starters and alternators, there is a shop near me that services them meaning that I have never bought a starter or alternator new or otherwise. After they have tested it, replaced what is wrong and replaced bearings, it is as good as new.

Gary BrownGary
              Participant

I usually will buy new. Remans typically have more problems in my experience unless you do the reman yourself via rebuild kit. I also make sure to buy USA made/German made parts only. This gets difficult as more and more is manufactured in china for cheap labor, however it is still possible.

Participant

All very good points, in fact just a few months ago I replaced the voltage regulator on my Mercedes’s alternator for $30 instead of god only knows what for the entire thing. So maybe CV axles are the exception, not the rule. I’ve had mixed results with power steering pumps, some only make slightly less noise than the one you’re replacing, some provide smoother and better steering feel than the original ever did.

IngvarIngvar
                  Participant

I’d safely sum up that it’s likely a moot question. You can get very shitty parts made in USA and you can get very good quality parts made in China. Or, the other way around. Or, for anything made anywhere else in the world. I am die hard made in Japan guy and I had “forgot what” made there, that turned to be a pile of old crap.
                    I’d safely say that aftermarket new+good warranty is better than remanufactured. Under the “not the bottom price” condition. From that on, it’s built up on personal experience. Bosch is German and I stay away from them. Bought 3 coil packs for Lexus made in China – appear to be running fine. But the price was 3 times less.
                    Like I said – moot and personal.

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
                    Participant

I know with old cars, its better to find junkyard parts and clean them up if possible. Some of the repop stuff for muscle cars and older cars is flimsy, cheap doesn’t fit right. Some of the patch panel made are such junk — and they might just be American. Such as a reman quadrajet, things like that I would NEVER buy. Other stuff, like a wheel cylinder or distributor, remans have been alright.

Gary BrownGary
                      Participant

[quote=”andrewbutton442″ post=126099]I know with old cars, its better to find junkyard parts and clean them up if possible. Some of the repop stuff for muscle cars and older cars is flimsy, cheap doesn’t fit right. Some of the patch panel made are such junk — and they might just be American. Such as a reman quadrajet, things like that I would NEVER buy. Other stuff, like a wheel cylinder or distributor, remans have been alright.[/quote] A reman quadrajet is for people who don’t know how to build them themselves. Patch panels are hit and miss, but as far as trucks go LMC truck is great for them.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…