Menu

Nickel dent removing?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Nickel dent removing?

• Creator
    Topic
    JamesJames
    Participant

Ok if its a huge dent I know a thousand ways to remove it, but how on earth do I get these little dents out? Bout the size of nickels… There way to small to drill and pull, too small to use suction, and its metal so heat flashing wont work either.. Any ideas?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Monty HowardMonty Howard
      Participant

[quote=”UncleJohn” post=59943]Ok if its a huge dent I know a thousand ways to remove it, but how on earth do I get these little dents out? Bout the size of nickels… There way to small to drill and pull, too small to use suction, and its metal so heat flashing wont work either.. Any ideas?[/quote]
        I have a friend who purchased parts and made a small but very strong electro-magnet for tiny hail dents in his vehicle. Since it was an electro-magnet an increase in current developed more magnetism and the dents popped out quickly all over the car.

I do not know where he got the parts to make the magnet but they are fairly simple to make. After he pulled the dents, any that pulled too hard he went over with a body hammer on top of a piece of felt so as not to mar the finish. His end results were amazing!

The trick he used was to gently pop the dents back into shape using multiple tugs of the small strong magnet.

CAUTION: DISCONNECT THE VEHICLE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL BEFORE TRYING THIS. I would hate to have someone set off a sensor and deploy air bags. They can cause death or injury easily not to mention the cost of replacing an air bag.

Monty HowardMonty Howard
        Participant

Private message sent to you on ETCG.

There are a number of paintless dent removal tools available that act as tiny hammers which cann be use on the reverse side of the dents to work them out. The tools are very effective on small dents but they require knowledge of how to use them effectively.

You can also find many products designed to pull small dents but most of those products are over hyped and seldom work.

If you can sand to metal the dents can be pulled using a dent pulling machine that in effect sopt wels a rod to the dent and leverage is use to pull the rod and attached dent back into position. High spots areund the perimeter of the dent can be worked out with aa sweeping motion using a body hammer.

Read the PM I sent you and after I hear from you I will help you find the solution you need to suit your purposes. Knowing what kind or type of dent (round depression, deep crease, on an edge, rounded surface, or angeled body bend, etc.) will be helpful. Also I assume your working with a steel body surface, if not let us know.

TimTim
          Participant

Stud welder with t-puller….JMO
            Tap the brow…

Monty HowardMonty Howard
            Participant

What timbobodyguy said unless you have the tools, can reach the dent from behind, and know how tap it out. Could save on later paint repairs, maybe enough to buy the tools but knowledge means a lot with paintless dent removal.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…