Menu

No particular vehicle

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion No particular vehicle

• Creator
    Topic
    Brian MericaBrian
    Participant

I was reading another post about the advanced computer technology in cars on this forum and it got me thinking. All these cars that have push-button start and electronic gas peddles and throttle bodies, you don’t even have to take your key out of your pocket. When I was a teenager I was driving an older car and as I was driving down the road my throttle got stuck wide open. Quickly thinking I killed the engine and coasted to a controlled stop. What I’m wondering is, how do you do this on modern cars with all these bells and whistles? What if the computer doesn’t want to turn the car off? or the throttle doesn’t want to close? just because it doesn’t feel like it? Then what?

This kind of stuff has always stuck in the back of my mind and made me a bit nervous.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BillBill
      Participant

First of all the electronic throttle is closely monitored by 2 different circuits and if a fault is detected the throttle will go into reduced power mode with a reduction in speed and throttle response. Sometimes only idle speed.

If that doesn’t work, simply push the on/off/start button on the dashboard.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…