Menu

no search and ads?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Forum News no search and ads?

• Creator
    Topic
    asetoftoolsasetoftools
    Participant

What the heck happened to these forums? Despite having adblock, i am getting car loan ads? appears to be a static image on your webserver, which is what fools adblock into thinking its not an ad. Are you guys hurting for money or something?

and more worrying, there is no search box anymore? how the heck am i supposed to look for old topics now?

what the heck has happened to these forums in the last few months?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Thank you for your input. First, the ads help pay for the site. Hosting isn’t free, domain registration isn’t free, and the people that work on and maintain the site don’t work for free. There is overhead to consider and ads are the most direct way to pay for that.

As for the search. The forum is huge. So huge in fact that when it was ported over to this new site it took about a year to do. Sadly, the search function went away along with that transition. However, we are working on bringing back a search function that crawls the forum as I type this. As soon as it is available it will be implemented on the site. For now you can use the search function on the home page to find information more quickly.

My apologies for any inconvenience. Thank you again for your input.

asetoftoolsasetoftools
        Participant

For sure man, no disrespect. You helped me many times. Regarding ads, the way they are configured is less standard than using an ad network, which i can see you use as well. Self hosted ads works, i saw em which doesn’t normally happen 🙂 Made me notice enough to make a comment, while i mainly wanted to ask your web developer about what was up with search. Did you ever think of using patreon or something like that? maybe you do…

Regarding search, i think your CMS is wordpress yes? I would think that there are endless plugins to search that. But yeah some are pay no doubt, and need to test to find the right one. Not a web developer so couldn’t recommend a good one without doing the research, i just run the infrastructure. Would probably start with the most popular and work from there.

I am going to resub to premium now as a thanks, because i let it lapse. The work you do is awesome, you are so popular now, more than ever before. Always impressed when you come up in conversation with random shadetree “mechanics” like me :).

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Thank you for your input and understanding. The developer is experimenting with ads and affiliates to find the right mix for the new site. Over time things should get better.

I’ve had a Patreon for a couple of years now. https://www.patreon.com/EricTheCarGuy?fan_landing=true

Thank you for your continued support and input to help make the site better.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…