Menu

No start, hardly cranks. Timing?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here No start, hardly cranks. Timing?

• Creator
    Topic
    Noureddine MarighNoureddine Marigh
    Participant

Hello everyone, my friend and I are trying to fix his 2007 Si.
      One day, we tried starting it, it barely cranked and won’t fire up. After checking the ignition/fuel, everything tested Ok. Yesterday, with the transmission in neutral and the spark plugs out, we tried rotating the engine manually but won’t budge. We removed the intake manifold and with a slightly more force, it started rotating fine, even though at one point, as you will see in the video, the chain slacks, is that normal? Please see images too, do the valves look Ok? The car was sitting for a couple of months, is that way there is rust on the valves? The first 2 pictures show a piece of the guide that broke, we retrieved it, it was floating between the camshafts, we are not sure if some piece of it is missing, we will find out when we remove the guide.

What do you guys think we should do next? I wanted to rule out timing issues, the broken piece had us concerned. If we have to check the timing components, anyone has the diagram so I can check to see if everything is in place correctly including the timing marks?

Any response would be appreciated, thank you!!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

That floppy chain between the cam gears is puzzling. It’s as if the rear cam gets accelerated and momentarily spins faster than the front cam, feeding more chain length towards the front than the front cam gear can handle. This really shouldn’t be happening. Are you turning the engine in the proper direction?

The valve pictures puzzle me also. All the valves seem to be closed. Did you rotate each cylinder to compression stroke TDC for each picture?

Participant

Hi, thanks for the reply.
          I was rotating the engine clockwise. As for the valves, I just took pictures randomly and I did see them closing and opening. I wonder if there is not enough oil up there, I wonder if would that cause the chain to get floppy.

MikeMike
          Participant

Assuming that clockwise is the proper direction of engine rotation, it’s difficult for me to explain the slack chain between the cam gears.

Anything I can think of to explain it is so stupid it’s not even worth mentioning.

Participant

Do you think there is not enough lubrication? The car was sitting for a couple of months. Also that noise while the engine is being rotated. I am thinking the slack is due to insufficient amount of oil. I am probably shooting in the dark but just a thought…

Participant

Anyone?

Analog VGabriel
                Participant

Did you find the missing peace of chain guide? It could be jammed in there and preventing the engine from rotating properly. Also check the chain tensioner it could be overextended?

Participant

We found it, it was between the cams. See images.
                    Ok, I will check the tensioner and other components when I take the timing cover off. Any idea how you inspect the tensioner?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…