Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Noise after installing New Rear pads and rotors.

Noise after installing New Rear pads and rotors.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Noise after installing New Rear pads and rotors.

• Creator
    Topic
    willy johnsonwaleed
    Participant

I was helping a relative install new pads and rotors on a 07 camry. Did the fronts a few weeks ago and they were fine. Rears were a real pain to get out. Parking brake shoes made them stick like crazy even after they werent that tight. I cleaned the shoes, rotors, and installed new one on the driver side, and realized I installed it on the wrong side. I tried to use a piece of cardboard with a hammer to get it out hitting the back, and it made a few dings in the new rotor. Also noticed after the bracket was installed it would slightly touch the hardware and make noise, but when i pushed on the rotor it would go away. Other side rotor was fine, but parking brake shoes still a pain. Even using m8 bolts to get it out, it was a real pain. In the process of getting the rotor off, bent two of the parking brake retainer pins, one on each side, but it was still being held, just a little more play.

After it was installed, I noticed a sound. Sounds like wosh, wosh wosh, like a light metallic sound. No more shimmy when stopping.

What do you think is the lightly culprit, the hardware, retainer pins making the shoes a little loose, or pads? I’ve had noise when installing new brakes but it usually just goes away.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Before trying to remove the rotor, you need to stick a screwdriver through the little hole to rotate the parking brake release gear. If you force off the rotor without first doing that, substantial damage can result. If that has happened, I recommend turning it over to a professional for proper repair. These are brakes folks, safety first.

MikeMike
        Participant

ALWAYS replace bent brake hardware. It’s a matter of safety and function.

Now you know that hammering on the new rotor surface never ends well.
          You probably could have gotten away with it if you had used a thick piece of wood but it shouldn’t have been necessary to hammer the new rotor off in the first place.

It’s much easier to remove any rotor off the parking brake shoes if you back off the adjuster first.
          This recesses the shoes and allows the rotor to slip over the lip that has worn into the shoe contact surface of the rotor.
          Since it was so difficult to remove the brand new rotor, then the shoe adjustment was too tight for the new rotor.
          You pull the rubber plug off the rotor hub and use a screwdriver to back off the adjuster for the parking brake shoes.

The noise could be the backing plate scraping, the parking brake shoes scraping or something out of place.
          You’ll have to remove the drum to replace the bent pins anyway.

willy johnsonwaleed
          Participant

For some reason, the shoes weren’t even that tight. When I slipped on the new rotor, it went on pretty easy but was a big pain to get the new one off.

willy johnsonwaleed
            Participant

Ok, I looked at it again. The hardware was loose on both sides, and one side rotor was touching backing plate. Fixed it and now no more noise.

MikeMike
              Participant

Glad you got it fixed.
                Hope you replaced those bent pins.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…