Menu

OEM v Autozone reman parts

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion OEM v Autozone reman parts

• Creator
    Topic
    MattMatt
    Participant

I hear Eric talk about using Honda OEM parts for ignition parts alot, because he has alot of experience on those particular issues.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

Well for me personally, it depends on the parts. I am a big fan of using OEM only and believe it or not, some OEM parts can be the same price as the aftermarket brands.

However, that said, if i was in a bind for per se an Alternator or Starter, i would use Autozone as they do offer a life time warranty on those types of parts. There Duralast batteries are also made by Johnson Company, the same people who make Interstate batteries.

I do shop at Autozone for my fluids and chemicals seeing as there is one in my town.

If im working on a friends or family vehicle, its all down to them when it comes to parts replacement. I explain the pro’s and con’s of each and let them decide.

But this question all boils down to peoples budgets and finances. Not a lot of people can afford dealer prices for OEM parts.

You get what you pay for when purchasing anything automotive related, period.

MattMatt
        Participant

All fair points. Here’s my bigger question I guess. If I tell customers that they have two choices… a) buy OEM and I wouldn’t charge you to RnR the part again, because they SHOULDN’T fail within a reasonable amount of time, or b) you are buying a risk/reward part, and if it fails shortly, I will have to recharge you RnR time because you didn’t get the best quality… How would that work out?

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

No parts are fool proof. Even OEM parts can fail.

It would depend on your business prospect. If you back your work with the warranty on the item, then i would not charge to R&R again.

If its a non-warranty item, then i would charge to R&R again.

That is a question only you can answer as for everyone who works on the side, its going to be all situation dependent.

Hopefully that makes sense?

MattMatt
            Participant

Yep. Thanks for some good advice as usual bud. 🙂

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

Quoted From Beefy:

Yep. Thanks for some good advice as usual bud. 🙂

Anytime!

Sang Kimskim3544
                Participant

I use OEM parts when it matters – perfect example would be Honda OE timing belt which has replacement interval of 100k MILES. Aftermarket belts are only good for 60K miles – so it makes sense to get OEM parts. For other parts, get cheap parts and if they break, replace them. Sometimes aftermarket parts are better than OEM parts. (EX. Optima batteries and Dorman hood latch cable for Honda)

MattMatt
                  Participant

Quoted From skim3544:

I use OEM parts when it matters – perfect example would be Honda OE timing belt which has replacement interval of 100k MILES. Aftermarket belts are only good for 60K miles – so it makes sense to get OEM parts. For other parts, get cheap parts and if they break, replace them. Sometimes aftermarket parts are better than OEM parts. (EX. Optima batteries and Dorman hood latch cable for Honda)

Oh yeh, if I were doing a timing belt and would get an extra 40k miles out of it, I would DEFINITELY go OEM. Also, I have had alot of luck with Dorman parts in general, so I totally agree there as well.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…