Menu

oil

• Creator
    Topic
    Tony ChernauskasTony Chernauskas
    Participant

Just returned from Honda service dept.and noticed on my oil change receipt that they installed 5W20 oil instead of the recommended 0w20 oil.Engine oil filler cap clearly states 0W20 along with Honda manual.I am returning to the dealer to have them change to the correct oil.If I was to use 5W20 would I be damaging the engine? This was the 1st oil change. 2013 Honda CRV EXL AWD 5 months old. Have you had any feed back with this situation?
      achernauskas Palm Bay FL

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
      Participant

I could not see it doing any harm, just run it back up and ask them to drain it and put the right stuff in.

MatthewMatthew
        Participant

[quote=”achernauskas” post=79000]Just returned from Honda service dept.and noticed on my oil change receipt that they installed 5W20 oil instead of the recommended 0w20 oil.Engine oil filler cap clearly states 0W20 along with Honda manual.I am returning to the dealer to have them change to the correct oil.If I was to use 5W20 would I be damaging the engine? This was the 1st oil change. 2013 Honda CRV EXL AWD 5 months old. Have you had any feed back with this situation?
          achernauskas Palm Bay FL[/quote]

0W20? do you mean 10w20 or Straight 20W? There should be no harm done and it should be good til next 6k miles. Cars are designed to run on various types. For Example: My Daewoo sates it takes 5w20. But it will run perfectly fine with 10w30 and even straight 30W oil. Infact next time i will dump som 10w30 into my car when i do next oil change. Once the engine gets up to temp the oil thins out to the proper vacoscity anyway or so ive been told by various mechanics.

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
          Participant

There is very little difference between those two oils, and only for the first two minutes on a very cold day. I would not worry about it.

Participant

No, there is actual 0W20 now. The only reason I would suggest having the right oil put in, is that he is driving a Honda and their VVT systems are oil controlled.

college mancollege man

[quote=”achernauskas” post=79000]Just returned from Honda service dept.and noticed on my oil change receipt that they installed 5W20 oil instead of the recommended 0w20 oil.Engine oil filler cap clearly states 0W20 along with Honda manual.I am returning to the dealer to have them change to the correct oil.If I was to use 5W20 would I be damaging the engine? This was the 1st oil change. 2013 Honda CRV EXL AWD 5 months old. Have you had any feed back with this situation?
                achernauskas Palm Bay FL[/quote]

Same thing Nissan told me.My Altima takes 0-20 they are using 5-30
                The dealers don’t have the correct oil yet. You probably won’t have
                a problem But like you.I would want 0-20 They built it with 0-20 for a
                reason.

I’m not telling you this … But dealerships tend to only use an oil to keep the vehicles to keep running past its warranty date and thayts it, its usually and oil such as 15w30 because it helps cushion the engine long enough to get out of warranty but you also loose power and fuel efficiency because the engine has to work harder to move the thicker fluid. The engines are made to WOR! With certain oils so certain oils should only be used.

Participant

One big reason for them speccing thin thin thin oils is to get a smidgen more gas mileage during the govt tests. That doesn’t cost them anything, versus the $500 or so million cost of a new engine design and tooling. So the accountants win. Car engines haven’t really changed oil-wise in 90 years. It gets pumped through passages and then out in a thin film along bearing surfaces. No big changes in a very long time. You could even run with old no-additives 1930’s oil, if you changed it more often. Don’t sweat the little detail.

Anther way the manufacturers get you with oil, is if the engine design is prone to slugging up and clogging passage, like certain Dodge engines of recent yore, the manufacturer won’t replace the engine if you can’t produce oil-change receipts for every xxxx miles, and showing the use of oil of the right kind. A scam to be sure, especially when they disallow your claim if you used something BETTER, like synthetic oil. So they get you in just about every way possible.

But in your case if it was done at the dealer, and you hang on to the service form receipt, you’re in good shape.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
                  Participant

The 5W20 will do you no harm, but the dealer service should know better. Probably they can buy 5w20 cheaper than 0W20, so their costs are less.

But give them some grief and have it put right. I would ask the service manager how they are going to compensate you for your inconvenience?

MatthewMatthew
                    Participant

id never take the car to a dealer mainly cuz the dealer charges 3x the price for the same service than a independent shop

Participant

Here is a good article discussing VVT and why oil is a big part of it.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Article/101608/the_ins_and_outs_of_variable_valve_timing_vvt_systems_and_their_role_in_vehicle_emissions.aspx

In engines featuring variable valve timing, the oil must be a hydraulic fluid as well.

The majority of variable valve timing (VVT) engines use motor oil as a hydraulic fluid to run the timing mechanisms.

In any engine that uses a VVT system or Diesels that use the motor oil to pressurize the fuel to the injectors require good clean engine oil of the correct viscosity. It is true that the push to thin oil is CAFE standards based, but (and big but here) the VVT systems are designed around this viscosity. Too thick a oil can cause them to delay timing changes and set error codes. This also applies to engines that use “selective cylinder shut down” as most use engine oil as a hydraulic fluid to engage or disengage the cylinders.

Participant

Good point, some of your fancier engines use the oil for more than for lubrication, and then the viscosity and amount of sludge might be crucial. I would be looking for a buyer for that car toute-suite. We don’t need no stinkin hyper-sensitive engines. Your opinion might vary.

PatrickPatrick
                          Participant

Despite engines haven’t changed in 90 years oil-wise, as somebody claimed, they have still changed by means of innovation in technology and engineering of parts. Tolerances and what not have decreased dramatically.
                            So in a way, they have actually changed a lot though and with that comes the need for better oils.

I will not for a second believe that oils are just the invention of screwing people out of money for the sake of it. They serve their purpose and are as far as I know engineered by people who do not work for free, so they will cost a fair bit.
                            Now we can argue brands within the same specs and agree that brand oils (Castrol, Mobil etc) might not necessarily be worth more than a lesser know brand.
                            The important stuff is the specs of one given oil.

In my Volvo XC70 -08 I can run different viscosity which are SAE 0W-30 to SAE 5W-40.
                            None of which is lesser grade than the other since they all have to comply with or exceed ACEA A5/B5
                            The viscosity only tells me what temp. ranges it will perform in, as in how easily it flows during cold winter starting and so on.

In a $30 000 car, skimping on correct oil for the sake of cost is malarkey at best. It’s general rule even.

BillBill
                            Participant

Installing 5w30 won’t cause any problems but I believe that 0w20 oil is full synthetic and the 5w30 may be mineral based.

I did a service on a newer Toyota last weak and had to order in the 0w20 for it and the customer freaked about the cost of his oil change. When they explained that the oil we installed was synthetic and the correct oil for his car he cooled off a bit.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                              Keymaster

I recommend you ALWAYS use the oil type recommended by the manufacturer. Engineers spend a great deal of time figuring that very thing out for best performance and fuel economy. I used to work next to guys that did the same thing because they didn’t want to walk to the parts department to get the correct oil. I can’t see how it’s that hard to use the correct oil. As for damage you probably wouldn’t experience any, or any ill effects for that matter with that small difference in viscosity. But for me it’s the principal of the thing. The Honda dealer should know better and should be able to care for your vehicle better than anyone else. Especially since you pay a premium for them to do the work for you.

Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=79490]I recommend you ALWAYS use the oil type recommended by the manufacturer. Engineers spend a great deal of time figuring that very thing out for best performance and fuel economy. I used to work next to guys that did the same thing because they didn’t want to walk to the parts department to get the correct oil. I can’t see how it’s that hard to use the correct oil. As for damage you probably wouldn’t experience any, or any ill effects for that matter with that small difference in viscosity. But for me it’s the principal of the thing. The Honda dealer should know better and should be able to care for your vehicle better than anyone else. Especially since you pay a premium for them to do the work for you.[/quote]

Exactly,if you pay for a particular service to be done right, you deserve what you paid for.

In reality any excuse the dealer gives is a moot point, the customer paid for the service and should get what they paid for.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…