Menu

Oil change Briggs

• Creator
    Topic
    MatthewMatthew
    Participant

I need to change the oil in my Briggs powered push mower. Oil level is fine but it tar-black in colour. How to i change oil in a Briggs? Is there an oil filter? if so where and do i need to change it? how much oil do i put in?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Coty MillerCoty Miller
      Participant

Turn the cap off, and turn it sideways over an oil pan, hold it there until it’s done peeing. Apply fresh whatever kind of oil. and done. I just used mobil1 5w30 as that’s what I use in my car… And it seems to be fine… Actually I use the oil that comes out of my car for it, the oil is supposed to last 10,000 and I change it every 4-5k so as far as I’m concerned it’s still decent oil. It’s lived 6 years of it so, whatever lol…

MatthewMatthew
        Participant

no oil filter?

Coty MillerCoty Miller
          Participant

Nope! It would be pointless without an oil pump! :silly:

MatthewMatthew
            Participant

my Takompse powered snow thrower has a oil drain pipe

BrianBrian
              Participant

No filter.

Oil I have used:
                Motorcraft 5w-30 (Winter) / Pennzoil SAE30 (Summer) est.: $4.99 Qt.

*O’Reilly’s brand motor oil $3.99 Qt. and “Gas treatment” work well too.

*Also Shell “Formula Shell” 5w-30 est. $4.50 Qt.

I usually change the oil from summer to winter.. start it several times during the winter and change to the SAE 30 for summer and over and around I go again.

By doing this I actually have a B&S edger from the mid 1970’s that still runs. (Just change the oil and treat the gas every so often.

Jack PatteeuwJack Patteeuw
                Participant

There is a big debate on other forums about what oil to use in small engines. Single weight vs. mult-weight, detergent vs. non detergent. There is only one thing to remember.

A sufficient quantity of pretty much any oil is 1000 times better than NO OIL !! 😳

BrianBrian
                  Participant

[quote=”theoldwizard1″ post=61802]There is a big debate on other forums about what oil to use in small engines. Single weight vs. mult-weight, detergent vs. non detergent. There is only one thing to remember.

A sufficient quantity of pretty much any oil is 1000 times better than NO OIL !! :oops:[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t really know what Mftr. recommend now in small engines. One thing I do know is that with as old as my edger is the only label you can still read off it due to age is 5w-30 (Winter) & SAE 30 (Summer) and it has lasted a long time. I am sure small engine tech. has advanced to some degree since the ’60’s/’70’s but I can’t imagine it has progressed all that much…..
                    I am defiantly not dropping some “Ultra Class” Synth. oil in it for sure…. it might kill it!
                    (That actually might be a good way to say it’s time to buy a new one if I did do that though…) :woohoo:

Jack PatteeuwJack Patteeuw
                    Participant

[quote=”brnmw” post=61817] I am sure small engine tech. has advanced to some degree since the ’60’s/’70’s but I can’t imagine it has progressed all that much….. [/quote]
                      Actually it has.

• Electronic ignition. 99% of the time, you have a good spark or you have no spark.
                      • Casting techniques have improved a lot, allowing thinner walls with the same strength and lower costs.
                      • Moving from the “L head” design to overhead valves allows for better intake and exhaust flow and better combustion chamber shape.
                      • Today’s carbs may clog more often, but they allow better emission control.
                      MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
                      Participant

Here’s a useful video from Donnyboy73, the small engine guy on YouTube. This includes how to drain it when there’s no drain plug AND a recommended refill with Castrol 30W for lawnmowers (based on summertime usage).

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…