Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • One Owner 97′ Camry: Would you buy it?

One Owner 97′ Camry: Would you buy it?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion One Owner 97′ Camry: Would you buy it?

• Creator
    Topic
    DarrellDarrell
    Participant

Looking for a new daily driver for my wife. We just do not do car payments!
      I’m intrigued by this one owner Camry w/83k, but it is old 97′ he want’s $2500 and is firm.

Story of one owner and low miles checks out. there are some service records but not for major item like timing belt.

I probably would not hesitate for $1500. What do you all think? My budget for new to us beater is $3k.

https://toledo.craigslist.org/cto/5689152679.html

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nicholas ClarkNicholas Clark
      Participant

I mean, yeah probably. Make sure you check all the fluids. Take the oil cap off and look down there with a flashlight. Make sure the trans fluid isn’t burnt. Test drive it and see if it makes any weird noises. I would replace the timing belt anyway. The 4 banger in that car is a non interference engine anyway. (I don’t see any V6 markings on the car.) I still wouldn’t want my timing belt to snap on any trip. It is difficult to kill a Toyota of that vintage.

BluesnutBluesnut
        Participant

The way I look at things like this is that every used car is worth X dollars no matter the age. When one needs a decent used car it’s always worth X dollars.
          The car looks very clean and 83k miles is not much at all.

The 2500 price is not bad but my preference would be to get it lower; say in the 2000 range. Or even lower. You should figure on a timing belt kit job along with cam and crank seals so that could be a negotiating point.

It doesn’t hurt to look at a car with a checkbook in your pocket stuffed full of cash. Sellers can get motivated by seeing someone with cash and knowing they’re not just kicking tires. The first thing they will notice about you when you knock on the door WILL be the cash; not your eye color. 🙂

Like you, i’m also allergic to car payments and I agree with Hockeyclark.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…