Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Outer tie rod noise? (torn boot,groaning/creaking)

Outer tie rod noise? (torn boot,groaning/creaking)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Outer tie rod noise? (torn boot,groaning/creaking)

• Creator
    Topic
    ReginaldReginald
    Participant

Me with my ’84 Accord again. Lately, when turning the steering wheel at low speeds, there is excessive deep groaning noise coming from the front end. This is in addition to a weird noise the car has had for a long time that I haven’t been able to pinpoint – if you hold your foot firmly on the brake pedal while the engine is running, almost all the way but just enough to let the car slightly ease forward on it’s own – this nasty creaking/scraping noise comes from the front left wheel area. The noise doesn’t occur at any other speed or time. Brake pads and rotors are perfectly fine (although the caliper piston does leak on the front left wheel). Power steering fluid is clean and full, the pump does seep a tiny bit but it works fine. Belts are new.

Is it some suspension component causing this noise? And the sudden groaning when turning the wheel, research leads me to possible rack and pinion troubles?

Here is a picture of the outer tie rod next to the front left wheel where the creaking/scraping noise comes from:

The rubber boot is torn, however there is no play in the wheel when I push and pull on it. Inner tie rods are fine, although there is a lot of axle grease up in there (axle seals are seeping). I live in inland Southern California, snow is extremely rare here and it doesn’t rain all that much either.

For comparison, here’s the opposite outer tie rod:

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

If you get a helper to turn the wheel and cause the noise you can put your hand on the
        component to see if you can feel the groan.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car

MikeMike
        Participant

Wow. Is there anything on this car that doesn’t leak?

ReginaldReginald
          Participant

[quote=”college man” post=177532]If you get a helper to turn the wheel and cause the noise you can put your hand on the
            component to see if you can feel the groan.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/diagnosing-noises-in-your-car%5B/quote%5D

I was able to find the creaking/scraping noise earlier today using that method. Big-time vibrations with my hand on the tie rod. I jacked it up and there is no play in the wheel or rotor when I try and wiggle it, so that’s good. But there was this….

I was not able to push or pull the tie rod, but I was able to twist it back and fourth. Not sure if that’s supposed to be the case.

Grit visible in the outer tie rod this afternoon:

college mancollege man

That tie rod should be tighter than that. It should not move as easy as it did.

ReginaldReginald
              Participant

[quote=”college man” post=177700]That tie rod should be tighter than that. It should not move as easy as it did.[/quote]

So, bad outer tie rod then? Is it something I can DIY or should I have a professional do it?

TyTy
                Participant

It is a job you can do yourself if you have the proper tools but you will need to get an alignment after the install right away or you will destroy the tire.

ReginaldReginald
                  Participant

[quote=”Disabled Automotive” post=177718]It is a job you can do yourself if you have the proper tools but you will need to get an alignment after the install right away or you will destroy the tire.[/quote]

The front left tire already has inner edge wear anyway, probably from being out of alignment (previous owner had gotten into a small fender-bender, evidence on front bumper and hood is slightly crooked). I called the local auto shop this afternoon and they want $210 to do the job+alignment, so I’ll probably just do it myself to save money. If I did the outer tie rod myself, would it be safe for me to drive it about 10 miles to the alignment shop?

TyTy
                    Participant

When you remove the outer tie-rod end count the amount of turns it takes before it comes off and then put the new end on with the same amount of turns tighten the jamb nut and you will be fine to drive it to the alignment shop.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…