Menu

Paintles Dent Removal

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Paintles Dent Removal

• Creator
    Topic
    Gumpy GussGumpy Guss
    Participant

So I see a few videos on YouTube about paintless Dent Removal, using hot glue.
      I go to Harbor Freight and buy the $12.99 PDR kit.

I try it at home and don’t get much undenting happening. The glue usually stays on the car and pulls off the black plastic pulling screw, sometimes pulls off easily, sometimes applies a medium pul before falling off.

I’ve tried wiping both surfaces with alcohol, thin glue blobs, thick glue blobs, waiting 30 seconds, waiting 5 minutes, always about the same results. Even went to the lengths of buying some black, high-temp glue sticks for cheap on eBay, but they stick really poorly to the black plastic pulling bolts.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jeff M.Jeff M.
      Participant

Don’t know much about the process because when I worked for nissan they either sent the car out for the process,or had a mobile on site person do it right there outside…Honestly have you considered taking the kit back in exchange for a new one ? It could be a faulty part.

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
        Participant

I’ve heard of that system, but haven’t tried it myself. sounds kinda cheesy really. what size are these dents? I prefer the stud welder that I have, except of course, its truely paintless dent repair and you have to take it down to metal. who makes this kit?

Jeff M.Jeff M.
          Participant

[quote=”shaun” post=73426]I’ve heard of that system, but haven’t tried it myself. sounds kinda cheesy really. what size are these dents? I prefer the stud welder that I have, except of course, its truely paintless dent repair and you have to take it down to metal. who makes this kit?[/quote]

Shaun,Check this out -> http://www.harborfreight.com/crossbar-dent-repair-kit-66957.html

Shaun FlichelShaun Flichel
            Participant

does look interesting. wonder how well they actually work. even the welded stubs are not strong enough at times and break off. should look for a similar kit here and try it on one of my many panels sitting around.

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
              Participant

Hi, I had purchased a very very similar kit some time ago, and had a very similar experience; the glue remains on the car and the actual force exerted is too small to really flatten the dent out.

Then I did some research and invested some more money in a “slide hammer dent puller” thing, like this.
                (not really advertising for this brand, my kit was actually purchased on ebay from a german shop since I live in europe)

I have to say this kind of “impact pulling” works better; also I’ve discovered that if you wait too long the glue becomes harder and tends to unstick too early, so a very quick approach is best.
                You glue the plastic thingy, then start hammering it out as soon as the glue has some consistence; don’t wait 30 seconds (or worse 5 minutes!) , do it right away.

In a case it pulled so hard that a layer of paint went off the body! :silly:

However, if the dent is very sharp the success you can get is somewhat limited; maybe with a lot (and I mean A LOT) of patience the dent will come out (I’ve seen some videos on youtube on sharp dents pulled with glue), but your mileage may vary 😉

Also, the black glue is better than the white/transparent one.

Hope this helps! 🙂

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…