Menu

parking break wont let go for 500ft

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here parking break wont let go for 500ft

• Creator
    Topic
    dosmastrdosmastr
    Participant

Hi guys,

I pull the parking brake and let it go and the right rear doesn’t let go until the car has been driving a while. park it, pull the brake again, and back to square one — need to drive another while to get it to let go again.

I had to use the two bolts to force the drum off, the pads wouldn’t let it go. I backed the adjuster waaay off and now as I’m putting the lugs back on i can spin the wheel before hitting the 80 ft-lbs the lugs are spec-ed at. I pulled the brake as hard as possible, still too weak to hold the wheel in place. I let it off (to take it all apart again) and i swear its holding slightly tighter than with the brake ON!!

So… now i have to go drive around the block 4 or 5 times before I’ll be able to get the drum off again…. what do i do once I am able to do that?
      am I looking at having to replace the parking brake cable? … I read that job is extremely time consuming…

Thanks again for all your help!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

sounds like the parking brake cable is not releasing. Spray the cable with penetrating oil
        and work the cable on and off until it frees. Unless its that frozen and rusted. Then you would
        need to replace it.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…