Menu

people who don’t want to pay?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only people who don’t want to pay?

• Creator
    Topic
    jeep72jeep72
    Participant

I hate it when you try to help people repair there vehicles but they don’t want to pay you what the job is worth.WTF if they took it to the shop or dealership they would be paying way more than I charge.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      davedave
      Participant

get money up front, or keep their keys until they decide they would like to fork over some cash.

and then you can tell them that you cannot work on their vehicle in the future.

SteveSteve
        Participant

When family or good friends help me, I always offer to pay them and try to get them to accept something for their help. Most times they will not accept which works out ok in the end since I will help them when they need it. On the other hand, I’m not a mechanic but when I help out someone (other than immediate family) an offer of payment would be nice. I wouldn’t accept it from family or close friends but it’s the offer that counts. Now a neighbor whom I barely know is different. If he doesn’t offer, I wouldn’t ask for it but the next time he needs help, I would be way too busy to help him.

davedave
          Participant

if it’s family, I ask for payment in terms of beer.

if it’s friends, I ask for payment in terms of beer.

if it’s a customer, I ask for payment in terms of beer money.

drthrift035drthrift035
            Participant

Great post. Collecting money up front is best. Sometimes what I do is collect the money for the Parts then at the end of the job i collect the rest for my work. At least you don’t lose on the parts. It’s all about calculated risks. If the person acts up. He’s like what my friend calls them ” 1 way ticket ” . You never deal with them again.

Generally, people are fair in my business experience. However, you have to watch for these slime Balls.

davedave
              Participant

If they don’t pay up front, I find where they live and take my parts back. 👿

college mancollege man

[quote=”Wrench Turner” post=57714]If they don’t pay up front, I find where they live and take my parts back. :evil:[/quote]

Is that before or after the beers? 😆

davedave
                  Participant

during. B)

Alex MacLeanAlex MacLean
                    Participant

When doing of job work (only request, not to take away from employer) I only charge $20 an hour, unless it’s family, in which case I typically do it parts cost, and don’t turn down a little beer money. I feel that my work must be worth that much, but you always get the person who wants to be even cheaper.

Replaced the rear struts on a friends car and because we were good buddies I did it for a 12 pack and parts cost-at my discount no less. And when I was done he even had the nerve to ask me if I’d take less because he was broke.

I know what it’s like to be broke, but damn, I have bills to pay too, come to me when you can afford the work. I’m already doing it for next to nothing as it is.

I’ve learned to tell people to get the parts themselves, at least that way if I get screwed on labor, I’m only out time and generally the usual cuts and scrapes instead of cash.

Aaron AbajianAaron Abajian
                      Participant

I am dealing with that exact situation as I type this. I have a small repair shop that I opened 15 months ago. I have a neighbor nearby that has sent me alot of work since I first started. He has a small fleet of work trucks and know alot of people in the area that he has sent my way. I can honestly say that I might not still be open today without the work he has sent! Here’s the problem: Recently, I have finished a few small jobs for him and have not yet received payment. I clearly have a sign in my shop stating that ‘all vehicles will be released upon full payment’. I am starting to feel that he has become a little too comfortable with me and thinks that this does not apply to him. I do not want to seem ungrateful for all the work he has given me in the past but, I have bills to pay! This puts me in a tight situation but I understand that I will need to go and confront him with this. I need my money and yet I don’t want to hurt my relationship with him (and his clients). Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

BillBill
                        Participant

I would be honest with the guy and tell him you’re struggling and you need his payment to keep going. If he’s happy with your work and cares what happens to you he might pay.

NissanMaxxNissanMaxx
                          Participant

Where I work, if you don’t pay, we just keep the keys. They always come back like a day or two after with the full payment. Easiest solution in my opinion. 😉 Whenever I work on family or friends cars, I don’t charge them anything because they also help me during the job and offer me money, but I don’t take it.

BillBill
                            Participant

Since the guy has sent a lot of work his way being tactful and calm is the best way to start handling the situation.

richiepearcerichiepearce
                              Participant

I would print off a statement for him and take it to his house, then you could offer him terms for the smaller jobs, 14 or 28 day payment. For the jobs where you have a bigger outlay in parts and labour you could offer payment by the end of the week in which the jobs have been completed.

I deal with a few companies with fleet vehicles. One of them sends cheques on receipt of invoice the others are on 28 day terms.

The trick is to have accounts set up where you source the parts, this means that you wil not be paying upfront.

Aaron AbajianAaron Abajian
                                Participant

I totally agree. Staying calm is the way to go for sure. I believe that losing your temper is a sign of weakness. I will do the best I can to be polite and get what is owed to me. If that doesn’t work out, then I will politely tell him to take any further work elsewhere. He doesn’t owe me enough to make it worth my while to take him to court (under $500.00). I can only blame myself… I put rules into place (vehicles will be released upon full payment) to protect myself… If I choose not to follow my own rules, I deserve what happens! Thanks a lot for all the input from everyone. Sometimes being the boss, I feel pretty alone out there. You guys made me feel much better about this. Thanks!

Dave OlsonDave
                                  Participant

I had a good one today. A customer came in for two change and balance/ off and on. They were given a quote by another guy in the shop fro the change and balance but when they dropped it off I was asked to fix the exhaust because it was hanging down, so I changed the tires and fixed the exhaust and when when they picked it up they got mad that I charged them for fixing the exhaust. Apparently the customer was under the impression that we are a charity and do work for free, I told them that I was asked to fix it and so I did.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…