Menu

Pop noise from the steering

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Pop noise from the steering

• Creator
    Topic
    chevierchevier
    Participant

Have a 06 Acura RSX. Recently my son hit a curb really hard, blew the tire. Put a new tire on, the wheel was ok. Now there is a pop when ever the the steering wheel is turned. Traced the noise to the steering rack. My question is.. Is this a common problem with steering racks? Or should I be looking somewhere else? The cars alignment changes when the steering rack pops. Will re aligning the car fix the problem? Any help you guys can give me would be awesome!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      killmankillman
      Participant

If the car hit the curb hard enough to blow a tire then it hit hard enough to bend something in the steering. It might be a bad/bent tie rod end, damaged rack and pinion, loose or damaged rack and pinion mount, some other suspension part, or even something in the steering column. Have this looked at by a professional as soon as possible.

brian .hawesbrian.hawes
        Participant

He could have broke some teeth inside the rack. If thats were the noise is coming from you’ll just have to replace it, there no rebuilding the rack and pinion.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

The damage done has nothing to do with the design of the vehicle so you really can’t say a ‘common’ problem in this case. It does sound like you might have issue with the rack or its mounting however. I would not wait to address the issue as it will wear the tires pretty bad till you get it fixed and it sounds like you’ve already bought at least one new one. Here is a video I did on finding suspension noises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scFbb43fwqk

renaudrenaud
            Participant

lift the car and disconnect the colunm of the rack &pinion and turn manually by the wheel tire asembly and check for noise but be safe for air bag clock spring in the steering wheel—can be inner tie rod or outer or rack -pinion inside or outside mount of rack.pinion assembly.or underneath cross member… may be see with align man shop

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…