Menu

Possible Head gasket problem

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Possible Head gasket problem

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by MattMatt.
  • Creator
    Topic
    MattMatt
    Participant

Hey everyone, first time on here. So recently noticed that my coolant reservoir level went from max to minnot sure how fast but not quickly. I also found a smudge of milkyness (more light grey than white) about a pinky tip size on my oil cap. I have run the car since to check if it was consistent, but non since. I found no external leaks and i replaced my radiator a couple months prior and my car (2002 nissan altima 2.5l manual trans), has run just fine, havent had any issues or overheating. So i bought the block tester kit and did the test, and it went a different color but. I noticed that the fluid in the test tube went way up and was more coolant colored than the examples ive seen. I assumed i didnt take enough coolant out and sucked some in the tester. I tested two more times with new test fluid for both, but with the radiator half drained, this time both tests didnt chage at all in color or fluid level. I just wanted more opinions if i just messed up the first time. Pics should be attached from first and second test. Should i also do a compression test to verify? Thanks again guys. I watch eric’s videos frequently.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Testing for exhaust gases in the cooling system is just that.
        Which is why you need to drain some coolant from the system.
        If you draw coolant into the test chamber the test is in valid.

MattMatt
        Participant

So you think i just have coolant in that first photo? I drained some but apparently not enough

Participant

If your coolant is yellow / green in color..
            I think so, also the fact that the level in the test tube is way higher then your starting point.

I would drop the level in the radiator about 2 – 3 inches and try the test again.

MattMatt
            Participant

I did that then the test didnt change color or raise in fluid, the second pic is the result

Participant

If the engine was up to operational temperature and that was the result, then I would say at least you have no issue with exhaust leaking into the coolant.
                The milky residue you noted is common on cars that are only driven on short trips or where there is a lot of dampness.
                If the oil on the dipstick looks normal Chances are better than even money you do not have an issue.
                As to the coolant reservoir level, remember coolant evaporates over time.
                So it is not uncommon to have to add to it now and then, especially in hot weather.

MikeMike
                Participant

If you have the gear, you can pressure test the coolant system. Or, you could spend a bit of time with a bright flashlight and look for signs of coolant leaks.

Nothing you describe sounds like cause for alarm. Just keep a watchful eye on the coolant level to see if coolant keeps disappearing.

MattMatt
                  Participant

Thanks man

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…