Menu

Power Probe

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Power Probe

• Creator
    Topic
    SamSam
    Participant

I apologize if there’s already a thread about this but…

I am really considering dropping the money on one. Just wondering if ya have it, does it live up to your expectations?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      John B KobberstadJohn B Kobberstad
      Participant

I love my PP III it’s a great tool. I even used it once to open my neighbor’s garage door so they could get in the house. They had forgotten the house key and had a spare inside the garage but couldn’t get in the garage. The battery in the keypad outside was dead. They bought some new 12 V batteries and installed them, still couldn’t open the garage. I brought my PP III over hooked it to their car battery and used the PP III to apply 12 V to the keypad and the door opened. Apparently the “New” batteries had been on the shelf too long and were not 12 V any more. I used the PP III to show them what the voltage was so they knew why it wouldn’t work. Told them to take the batteries back for a refund and get new ones.

SamSam
        Participant

Sounds pretty cool, I saw that they were like 200 from matco, but tooltopia’s got them for 130, so I guess that’s the way to go.

Participant
            Matthew StrangeMatthew Strange
            Participant

Can you get the Sealey pp100 easily in the US?
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KolvTi8wD1s

SamSam
              Participant

Holy dang, that scope function is sweet!

Participant

Couldn’t find it here in US could get it shipped here but cost would be about 3 times what the plain Power Probe III goes for. Scope function seems to be the only thing the Power Probe III does not have. Maybe the next generation of the power Probe will have it.

Andrey LukovenkoAndrey Lukovenko
                  Participant

What bandwidth does it have? In multimeter mode it claims to measure up to 10 kHz, so I think it is in no way a replacement for an oscilloscope.

Participant

You might be able to answer your question here –

Attachments:
                      Andrey LukovenkoAndrey Lukovenko
                      Participant

No specs there.

kevinkevin
                        Participant

i guess people really haven’t used it extensively…
                          for example, if you power up blower motor fan and motor had a dead spot, speaker would whine or buzz as you powering up…or even over amperage draw from those motor pop circuit breaker…another nice feature…
                          sort of get rid of guess work out of it…if you have scope attached to it…even better..

i had seen up close that probe/scope…at one parts store…store employee said, even though they have it in store but, if
                          they decided to stop ordering them then, i would have get warranty through manufacture…nice.

power probe3 is work nicely.i am a professional technician…i use it more often than my mulitimeter.
                          getting lazy to grab my multimeter

Herman Tyler Jr.Herman Tyler Jr.
                          Participant

I have a Power Probe III combo kit, opening the garage door was cool, but that was applying 12v to a circuit. What i’m looking for is some truly innovative ways to use this tool, that it wasn’t designed for, but the circuitry the two units will allow me to utilize. The two units being the PPIII & ECT2000, I’ve only used mine about three times for it’s basic functions, but with time I really want to think outside the box with this one. For those of you that want to challenge your creativity, a word of caution, these are electrical devices and can fry some really expensive components. “So stay safe” Stay in touch! When you find a unique method for using this tool post it, and I’ll be doing the same.

Anthony KreiserAnthony Kreiser
                            Participant

I picked up my pp3 on Tuesday. I ordered it threw o’reilly auto parts for 170 out the door. It only took 2 days to come in. I’m going to use it today to test a rear wiper motor on a 08 envoy.

MARK FELDSTEINMARK FELDSTEIN
                              Participant

Yeah, it seems Amazon has the best prices on these things. Here’s the PP III kit there. Amazon has all sorts of variations of these things from PP II and III, kits or not. They may be coming out with a IV model which would partly explain the lower price these days. Still, $132 is a good deal for what you get here. I have to say it’s a really useful tool up to 24 volts and you can always add to it later.
                                http://www.amazon.com/Power-Probe-PP3LS01-Circuit-Tester/dp/B007QV0R7W/ref=pd_sim_hi_4

Herman Tyler Jr.Herman Tyler Jr.
                                Participant

Hi Sparks! I’ve had my PPIII for almost two years now. I paid $260+ for the combo kit that comes with the ECT2000, the ECT2000 is a very useful tool when it comes down to finding open circuits or shorts to ground. It has a transmitter that puts out a low voltage signal to whatever circuit that may be of concern to you, and a hand size receiver that allows you to track the signal without the need to open the wire harness. It is really useful if you can read wire diagrams, and have access to connector locations and pin positions within the connectors. But again! Even without the diagrams you still have an advantage, because you don’t have to waist time tracking a blue wire with a white tracer through that harness, which can take a lot of your time. The receiver shows you which way to go, or if you have taken a wrong turn. FYI a month after I received my PPIII, they came out with the PPHOOK, and the hook is really amazing :whistle: 🙁 To see what it’s capable of check out the powerprobe.com site, now I would like to upgrade B)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…