Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Power Steering still kind of noisy update.

Power Steering still kind of noisy update.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Power Steering still kind of noisy update.

• Creator
    Topic
    DarrellDarrell
    Participant

Hi again all,

97′ Camry 90K miles 2.2L

Wanted to give a update on my power steering. I had posted about being unhappy with whiny PS pump and/or rack after completely replacing rack,pressure and return lines and pump with reman unit from AZ. (which I wish I had not done but I already returned the core) :unsure:

Long story short after about 700-800 miles pump still whines but only when taking off from stop while at same time turning left. Taking off to the right or going straight makes virtually no perceivable noise. Noise stops much sooner too, goes away after reaching about 20 mph.
      Previously right after installation pump was noisy all the time up to 45 MPH or more in all scenarios.

I’m assuming there is still air in the system that will eventually work it way out?

That said, the “only to left” part makes me worry I got one of the 50% of re-manufactured racks that seem to be bad out of the box if you believe all the forum posts all over the web. Time will tell I guess. Since I replaced virtually everything the system was flushed and then re flushed when the hose clamp blew. I did remove the plastic reservoir and back-flushed to get all the old gunk out as well. In short we think we did everything “right”

Backstory for those interested:

The last post I made in that thread I sounded like a complete crazy person to be sure. If you want some entertainment and probably a laugh check here
      Anyway, I’m over the “Pivot Bolt Incident of 2017”. Obviously the bolt threaded back in, no big deal.

I re-tightened the PS belt. I think it may have been a tad loose as ToyotaKarl suggested.
      20 miles after tightening the belt the 20 year old spring clamp my buddy and I re-used blew and I had the car towed to AAA autocare where I paid $40 for dude to check everything out and put a $1 hose clamp on. (Because of my trouble in link above I did not know what could have been wrong and it was at night and wife was pissed)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    Loading…