Menu

Power Windows Help!

• Creator
    Topic
    MichaelMichael
    Participant

2005 Saturn Ion,
      When i got the car the drivers window the passanger window and the drivers side window worked.
      a couple hours ago all of the windows work.
      now only the passenger window works.

if its relevant we`ve been having a lot of snow, rain and freezing rain here.
      could the weather really be effecting it
      i have checked the fuse, it looks like its not blown.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

You will need to look at a wiring diagram and diagnose from there.

There is a link posted in the ‘How To’ section for free Chilton’s online that has wiring diagrams for most vehicles.

There could be several reasons why the drivers side window wont work from a bad switch to a bad window motor.

However, once you study the wiring diagram, it will aid you in your diagnostics.

I have seen some vehicles where the actual glass was frozen in place but you could still hear the motor working. It was a VW Mk4.

Does the master window switch on the drivers side door still operate the passenger side window?

Can you hear the window motor trying to work?

And is this a 2 door coupe?

MattMatt
        Participant

I have to agree with dreamer. I had a guy that broke 3 out of 4 window regulators when he tried to use all of his windows after an ice storm (not sure why he did). Cost him a good bit of money for me to replace them, because the parts weren’t sold without the motors, even though the motors were fine. I pulled the good motors and gave them to him for backups.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Yes the weather can effect them especially if they become frozen with ice. As mentioned if this is the case then do NOT try to operate them because if you do you could break the regulator assemblies all they are are cables and plastic and tend to break fairly easily. What I often to do diagnose a bad regulator is to work the switch while listening to the door, if you hear something try to move or click when you do this it’s likely the motor is getting power but the regulator is bad. If you DON’T hear anything then it’s possible you have an electrical issue and would need to get a wiring diagram for your application and begin tracing the circuit to find the fault.

college mancollege man

make sure you don’t have the window lock button pressed by accident. that will disable the windows.if you can get the car in a garage to warm
              the car and get the ice off.hopefully the windows are frozen. I find it hard to believe that all windows are broken. you may need a print for further
              trouble shooting.good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…