Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Pre ’90 Honda Accord Crankshaft Pulley Bolt – Real Dirty

Pre ’90 Honda Accord Crankshaft Pulley Bolt – Real Dirty

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Pre ’90 Honda Accord Crankshaft Pulley Bolt – Real Dirty

• Creator
    Topic
    edkraneedkrane
    Participant

Was hoping to mix it up with the infamous Honda crankshaft pulley bolt issue…as hard as they are to get off. I’m NOT referring to the years that have the hex cutout inside the pulley so you can insert a pulley holder. Pre ’90 Accords have no hex cutout – they only have holes around the perimeter of the pulley, and the center of the pulley is round…so no luck getting a holder inside that. I’ve seen someone jam a screwdriver in the rotor vents to try and keep the crank from turning, but there’s too much stress on various points IMHO. Standing on the brake pedal with the transmission in 5th gear doesn’t work either. Other fourms suggest a very high torque impact wrench – bigger than 1/2″. Anybody have any secret tips I don’t know about. If the bolt won’t come off, I can’t git ‘er done.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      619DioFan619DioFan
      Participant

Had a problem similar to this but on a big block v8. needed to remove the balancer but my cheapy impact at the time would do it. so I made a holder… got a piece of flat stock and drilled two holes in it to match up with the pulley mount holes in the balancer ( had to offset them slightly so the socket would get past. made sure the flat stock was long enough to hit the floor when it was bolted up to the balancer. this prevented the crank from being able to turn. then just used a big breaker bar with a cheater and broke it loose. if the holes you mentioned are tapped then this should work for you ( make sure to use grade 8 hardware to attach the tool. if the holes are not tapped you might be able to use this same idea just use bolts that will slip into the holes and they should act like pins. make sure to offset the holes in the flat stock so the socket can get buy. thyen just wedge the flat against the floor and use the best breaker bar ya got and it should come loose. let me know.

Gen3Gen3
        Participant

edkrane, I remember seeing a post online detailing the timing belt change. Someone used the wrench from a angle grinder in the holes you speak of to hold the pulley. The grinder wrench is the kind that has two pegs sticking out of the handle, like this- http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wrench-p-67460.html I am not recommending this method, just describing what I read. If you damage anything or anyone I am not responsible. Post back with your outcome. –Gen3

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I think you might have emailed me this and I told you to use the crank tool, sorry. Try this, remove the cover that covers the flywheel between the engine and trans, they actually make a tool called a flywheel holder if you can track one down great but you may be able to wedge something in there to keep it from turning like a pry bar or something to hold the crank while you try and break the bolt loose. It’s been my experience that those are normally not as bad as later models but I’m sure you’ll let me know if I’m wrong. Good luck.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…