Menu

prelude problems

• Creator
    Topic
    brandon_l1000brandon_l1000
    Participant

hey guy i have a 92 honda prelude and for the last little while its been a giant pain. The car runs great but when the temperature outside is high it doesnt want to start. I have to turn the key on and off about 25 times and it will finally start. after it starts i can cut it off and it will start right up again. Lately it has gotten alot more frequent, and it always seems like im in a hurry when it decides to do it. any ideas?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jacobnbr1jacobnbr1
      Participant

Sounds like the fuel pump is getting weak. The theory is that when you cycle the key you eventually build enough fuel pressure to start the engine. fuel pressure test and change the fuel filter. let us know

reyludereylude
        Participant

i’ve had this similar problem before.. i got an 01 prelude, from my experience i did research to figure out this problem… what you can do is check battery and check terminal connections, if thats good then check out your ignition components like cap,rotor,wires,coil and see if they are hooked up good and inspect for any type of damage to them, if that clears then head over to your under dash and inspect for the main relay i believe its the pgmi-fi relay and open the casing and look for any burnt markings or solder joints damaged that would be your problem.. my problem was the starting issue and idle surge, i had air in my cooling system, i bled the system and removed the fast idle thermo valve twisted all the way back then gave it a quarter turn up

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

First you need to find the source of the no start, spark or fuel. If you don’t have fuel pressure during the no start then check the main relay which is a very common problem on Honda’s. Here are some videos that I did that might help. BTW Honda OE fuel pumps hardly ever go bad so don’t just throw a fuel pump in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpP4wxBvpA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viIZ8k60awY

Good luck.

brandon_l1000brandon_l1000
            Participant

Thanks guys turns out it was the main relay. I talked to some friends that fool with hondas all the time and they told me the same thing. They said that honda main relays go out all the time. One guy even told me that the main relay was the only thing honda didn’t know how to build lmao. Thanks for the help

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…