Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Premium Member video hosting suggestion

Premium Member video hosting suggestion

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Premium Member video hosting suggestion

• Creator
    Topic
    subhobrotosubhobroto
    Participant

Eric,

Although I am a shade tree mechanic, professionally I am a computer engineer and am relatively comfortable with setting up infrastructure.

I read about the Premium Member video woes in the newsletter and would like to suggest an additional provider(s) to support hosting the extra large 1080p Premium Member videos.

What this means is that I can arrange for and support (if you find that necessary) VERY affordable video hosting (the rest of the assets and forum content stays where they are, so no “switching” overhead or headaches for you), that SHOULD work effortlessly (depends on how the current forum is set up as).

I am suggesting Amazon’s Cloudfront service for hosting the video assets: we upload the 1080p premium content here and you just use that link in your video content.

If your concern is that anyone will be able to access your premium videos: not necessarily (your current video player might already be doing access control, so there might be additional overhead)

If you are not that concerned about people accessing your premium videos and you (moderately) trust your premium members, I have an even cheaper and non-traditional suggestion of initially seeding the premium content and then sharing that over torrent to other premium members.

As long as premium members don’t give out those videos, you are now no longer even paying for distributing the videos!

In this non-traditional method, only premium members have access to and continue to keep access to premium content without costing you a dime.

Since almost everyone is familiar with torrents, there is nothing extra your subscribers need to do at all.

This non-traditional torrent idea is optional, to relieve you of distribution costs.

Now let’s go back to the traditional hosting:

Here’s pricing of Amazon’s Cloudfront :

https://aws.amazon.com/cloudfront/pricing/

I also noticed an alternative:

http://get.cachefly.com/cdn-comparison-amazon-cdn-pricing-and-cachefly/

I don’t work for either company but I use Amazon’s services, so I am familiar with them. I have not used cachefly.

Instead of sending you a private email, I thought I would post here instead, so that other members familiar with the topic can comment as well.

Let me know what your thoughts are! :cheer:

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Wyatt TalleyWyatt Talley
      Participant

We are looking into other options at this point. Thanks for the suggestions.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…