Menu

Problem removing engine

• Creator
    Topic
    Rick Crandallcrandall
    Participant

I am trying to pull the engine from my 1980, Ford F-100. Here are the facts to ponder:

• Engine is a Windsor 302 attached to an automatic tranny
      • I have removed the 2 engine mount bolts
      • I have removed 8 bolts that connect the engine to the bell housing. Two short bolts on top and 6 longer ones the rest of the way around.
      • I removed 4 nuts that connect the flywheel to the torque converter.

As I move the engine hoist, I am getting hung up down near the tranny. (The engine is going up and clearing the engine mounts). The engine is separating from the bell housing on the driver side, but not on the passenger side. It actually feels like I am still connected to the flywheel. Did I miss some bolts?

Yes, I have given it some good tugs towards the front of the vehicle, but don’t want to be too aggressive with it being hung up.

This is my first engine rebuild, so any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

I agree with Eric, you will need to do a good visual inspection and see if you have missed something obvious.

Also we do have a link to free Chilton’s online that may shed some more light on the issue.

Good luck and keep us posted.

JPSaxManJPSaxMan
        Participant

I would have to concur with dreamer and Eric. I’m sorry to say I’m somewhat ignorant as to what makes a Windsor 302 any different compared to the standard issue Ford 5.0 302 (I guess I’ll have to do some homework…) but I know sometimes on these 302 Ford motors the bell housing bolts can be a real ***** to get to, and sometimes are hard to see; you might have missed one or two. I’d check out the Chilton’s or even if you have a Haynes manual or something similar it might be good to shed some light on your job. Best of luck to you!!

yarddog1950yarddog1950
          Participant

All Ford small block V8s are Windsors (221 /260/289/302/351) The 351 is called a Windsor because there is also a 351 Cleveland from a different engine family.

yarddog1950yarddog1950
            Participant

Don’t forget to remove the steel braid ground straps.

619DioFan619DioFan
              Participant

As stated make sure the trans is securely supported. take a pry bar and pry between the t/convertor and the flex plate. if all the t/convertor bolts are out ( should be just 4 ) the convertor should move back from the flex plate. does sound like maybe there is still one bell housing bolt installed. there should also be two dowel pins that locate the bell housing to the block. if the trans and block are not aligned/tweaked the dowel pin might be jammed ( after making sure all the bolts are out use a long pry bar to try to seperate the trans from the block. are you using an engine leveler attachment with the hoist ? I recommend using one as they seem to make removal easier as you can easily tilt the motor up/down for clearance purposes.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

It could be that you missed some bolts but you’re going to have to get under there and have a look. Did you remove the starter? If not it needs to come out. Also you need to support the transmission before you pull an engine if not it will put everything into a bind and the trans will drop as soon as you get the engine out as the only thing that supports the front of the transmission is the engine mounts, no engine, no support. Good luck.

Rick Crandallcrandall
                  Participant

Thanks all. I will get back under and take another look.

Will also try the pry bar after one more check for a hidden bell housing bolt.

BTW, I am using an engine leveler for this pull. Will keep you posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

Quoted From yarddog1950:

All Ford small block V8s are Windsors (221 /260/289/302/351) The 351 is called a Windsor because there is also a 351 Cleveland from a different engine family.

I believe the reason for this is due to where it’s made, the Clevelands were made in Cleveland OH, the Windsor’s were made in Windsor Canada. As far as I know the 351 displacement is the only small block Ford that makes this distinction because the 351C is a different casting than the 351W, in fact some refer to the 351C as a ‘big block’ because it uses the same casting as the 400, there is also the 351M which some mistake as standing for ‘modified’ but it actually means it was manufactured in Michigan. I don’t recall the other displacements of the Ford small block having a designation of where they were made, in fact I’ve never heard of a 302 Windsor or a 5.0 Windsor for that matter I’ve just heard them referred to by their displacement 302, or 5.0L.

Rick Crandallcrandall
                      Participant

Good news, the engine is now out!

As several of you mentioned, I needed to get back underneath to see what the problem was. I discovered that one of the bolts from the torque converter was still catching the flywheel. The other 3 bolts were free and clear, but the last one was stuck and at an angle. I simply changed the direction of the engine hoist and pulled it more toward the driver side. At that point, the flywheel worked itself free of that last bolt and the rest was easy.

The engine is now safe and sound, bonding with its new home, the floor of my carport. The next step is to take the flywheel off, then attach it to my not yet assembled engine stand for final disassembly. From there, it will go to a local machine shop for a little “pick me up.”

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

Thanks for the update!

Don’t forget to change the traffic light to green if the issue is resolved as it updates our data base and will help others who use the forums C8-)

Rick Crandallcrandall
                          Participant

You bet, got it on green right now.

Thanks.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…