Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Problem removing rear bumper cover, 03 Escape (VIDEO)

Problem removing rear bumper cover, 03 Escape (VIDEO)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Problem removing rear bumper cover, 03 Escape (VIDEO)

• Creator
    Topic
    Gareth RandallGareth Randall
    Participant

Trying to remove the plastic rear bumper cover on my 2003 Escape. I have the factory service manual so I’ve followed the procedure and I’ve got all the fasteners off except two nuts which seem impossible to remove – they’re attached to what look like eccentric bolts which just turn with the nut, and there’s no way I can find to hold the bolts still while I turn the nuts.

The really annoying thing is that the FSM doesn’t mention these at all, but says instead that there are four “pin-type retainers” which don’t exist on my bumper.

The video demonstrates what I mean… anybody know how I get past this? The bumper cover seems to be free apart from these two fasteners, one on each side.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJpQ5M1xWpc[/video]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I do not believe those are eccentric bolts.
        It appears that the head of the bolt has a single flat side that locks into the U channel bracket directly below it.
        My first thought would be to apply upward pressure on the bracket so that the flat can lock itself into the slot.
        Then attempt to remove the nut.

If that fails, get a set of vise grips to hold the head of the bolt.

Attachments:
        Gareth RandallGareth Randall
        Participant

Thanks, I haven’t had a chance to crawl back under there yet, but I’ll give it a go.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…