Menu

Pulling 2.4 Litre Twin Cam Motor

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Pulling 2.4 Litre Twin Cam Motor

• Creator
    Topic
    Jim HutchingsJim Hutchings
    Participant

So awhile ago I was on here talking about my sons car which was a 2000 Pontiac grand am 2.4 liter twin cam. He since has totaled the car and we are thinking of pulling the motor out to put into another car. (since the car is worth nothing taking it to a junk yard) We are considering our options of putting this 2.4 liter into a Pontiac Sunfire that has the same motor in it which is blown. Both cars are automatic. We know what kinda shape this motor is in that’s why we are thinking of taking this route.

Is this possible?
      What do I need to look for when thinking of going this route?

Hutch74

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jim DavisJim Davis
      Participant

Sure its possible, lots of work, but doable. Things to look for, is the Sunfire the same year? Then probably not much wiring harness issues, but look both harnesses over good, look for any differences. Was the totaled car hit in the front? Was the body/frame pushed against the engine/trans anywhere? You don’t want a donor engine with damage to mounting bosses, pullys, or stressed bolt holes. The Sunfire, is the body and the rest of the car worth all the work? Remember, you are going to do all this for a 15 year old car. Not putting down your car, but I would make sure its sound, no rust or other known problems that are going to nickel and dime you to death. I have done projects like this myself, on some S10’s. Worked out ok, Just look things over and make sure you look for damage to the donor engine.

Jim HutchingsJim Hutchings
        Participant

The Sunfire is a 2003 and in mint condition body wise, the grand am is a 2000. So the wire harness will be different you are syaing being 3 years apart. I didn’t think GM changed to much of the motor part from year to year. I understand its a lot of work but my son wants to attempt it as we know what the engine is like that we are putting in the Sunfire and now a days who knows what kind of car you end up with for not to bad of a price for a teenager. The donor car has no damage to the front end motor or tranny it was hit in the back end.

Still doable being a 2003 Sunfire and donar car 2000 grand am?

Hutch74

Jim DavisJim Davis
          Participant

The Sunfire being a 03 changes everything, According to what I am looking at, that car has a 2.2 L engine, so mounts, trans, wiring harness, ecu/pcm, everything is going to be different and the engine out of the Grand am is not going to work.

Rich SoutherlandRich Southerland
            Participant

[quote=”HeavyJ” post=125455]The Sunfire being a 03 changes everything, According to what I am looking at, that car has a 2.2 L engine, so mounts, trans, wiring harness, ecu/pcm, everything is going to be different and the engine out of the Grand am is not going to work.[/quote]

Yup. Grand Am is the old Quad 4 motor, Sunfire is the 2.2 Ecotec. Totally different. For whatever it’s worth, that Grand Am engine will fit 2000-2002 Grand Am, Sunfire, Alero and Cavalier.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…