Menu

QG18DE eating alot of oil

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion QG18DE eating alot of oil

• Creator
    Topic
    SegunSegun
    Participant

I’m from Australia and i i have a Nissan Pulsar 2004 , which is the same make as your Nissan Almera. My car has a QG18DE and is eating a lot of oil. There is no oil leaks where i park at home ( using the cardboard trick under car) and no leaks that i can see when i jack up the car.

Problems that i have come cross which led me to find out about the oil:

– car would stutter during full acceleration – fix with new spark plugs and gasped to 015 –
      – fuel pressure would drop during full acceleration – fixed with new fuel pump
      – changed air filter
      – cleaned air flow meter
      – no error codes
      – i have tried stop leak products even though there was no indication off oil leaks that i can see.
      – cleaned throttle body

-i also forgot to mention that i have also replace the PCV vale
      – also replaced my catalytic converter

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RyanRyan
      Participant

How many miles/kilometers do you have on that engine? It sounds like your engine is doing exactly what you said “eating oil” or rather burning it. I attached an image of bad spark plugs. Did your old ones look like any of them? Also look at the new ones you put in. Usually when an engine burns oil it leaves a white deposit on the spark plugs. When you accelerate hard, glance into your rear view mirror and look to see if there is any smoke behind you.

Attachments:
        college mancollege man

I know the Altima had a problem with the catalytic converter design problem. here is
          some reading.

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2252393/nissan-excessive-oil-consumption-maxima-sentra-altima

Sam RoodmanSam Roodman
          Participant

Have you done a leakdown test?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

subhobrotosubhobroto
            Participant

Hello SEG18T,

Did you find a solution?

I had a few questions for you:

1. Do you have the old spark plugs, or pictures of those spark plugs?

2. How did the throttle body look like? How does the PCV look like?

3. Do you feel comfortable taking the top side off and taking pictures of the valves?

Also, in general stop leak products are not recommended, atleast not if you would like to car to last a bit more than a month or two.

SegunSegun
              Participant

I’ve attached a file with my current sparks. my car has done 132xxxx km which is around 82020.9974 miles when converted.when i accelerate hard i only see a puff of smoke when i change gears, i don’t have a trail of smoke when accelerating hard.

Attachments:
                SegunSegun
                Participant

i forgot to mention that i have replace all my cats.

SegunSegun
                  Participant

1. i don’t have any pictures of my old sparks but i just uploaded pictures of my current spark plugs

2. The throttle body was a little black on the inside, wasn’t that bad after a clean.

3. pcv – from what i remember it was really oily and the side plugged in to the engine had burnt oil on it.

4. i will take the top side off after buying some gaskets etc.

SegunSegun
                    Participant

i haven’t done a leak down test but i’ll do that soon and get back to you with the results

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                      Participant

check oil filter, plug, pan.

Replace PCV. Do dry and wet compression tests on a cold engine. Do leak down test on cold engine. Check valve seals. Order doesn’t matter and you can tell us the results between each test but, my guess is if pcv doesn’t fix it its prob rings or valve seals.

CecilCecil
                        Participant

In the US we don’t have the “Almera”, but its related to the Sentra and/or Versa not Altima. The Altima catalytic converter issue was on the 2.5 liter and not related.
                          When trying to search for Sentra burning oil, even adding 1.8l to the search just brings up all of the QR25 issues. The 1.8l Sentras generally don’t have many common issues around here other then headgasket.

GaryGary
                          Participant

[quote=”SEG18T” post=158585]I’ve attached a file with my current sparks. my car has done 132xxxx km which is around 82020.9974 miles when converted.when i accelerate hard i only see a puff of smoke when i change gears, i don’t have a trail of smoke when accelerating hard.[/quote]
                            I know this is an older post but if you only see smoke on a gear change after hard acceleration I suspect valve stem seals or something like that. The engine is sucking in oil when the throttle is closed at high rpm and in my experience with Nissans that means a bad stem seal normally.
                            Another symptom would be hard cold start and misfire on idle for a short time after startup after standing overnight. Sometimes you can get predetonation on hard acceleration and the management system will retard timing because of the bit of oil in the cylinder.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…