Menu

Question about car repair?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Question about car repair?

• Creator
    Topic
    jackjack
    Participant

Which in your opinion is a better place to take your car to get repair work done, a large national chain like Midas or Meineke or a small locally owned repair shop?

As for as I am concerned , ATEQ VT55 is a helpful tool , which has excellent performance to make users feel satisfied and meet users demand . There are some reasons to show why this tool is so helpful .

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ErinErin
      Participant

Big chains tend to back up their work better but are also more expensive. Plus, they are trying to make sales, which is why you take it in for something small and they say you need a ton of other work. Big chains are owned by greedy corporate bosses who are constantly telling the shop owners to bring in more money. So you get to deal with some smooth talking salesman who talks over your head even if you KNOW the inner workings of a car.

They say –
        “After a diagnostic test, we dicovered the knooter valve is bad… What this knooter valve does is… and over time when it wears out… so what can end up happening is… it is a labor-intensive job… It normally costs $5,000 to replace but we can probably get it done today for $4999 and offer a full 5 minute warranty.
        Sound familiar?

Ultimately when you are deciding if you want a shop to do the work, see how the repair shop itself looks. If it is a dump, run away. If it is clean and seems organized, they probably care more about their work.

In my case if I HAD to go to a repair shop, I would probably seek out a good locally owned place. It may be harder to get in but they are not as likely to want to replace everything except the oil filler cap.

Oh get this – my room mate took her car to Meineke for a small occasional engine knock. They said, I swear to God –
        “We could put a used engine in it for $3200 and give a few month warranty”.
        $3200 for some used engine and a few month warranty? No, we decided to take our chances.

JustinJustin
        Participant

Most of the small places like that around us have hacks working for them. Usually the customer replaced 3-4 parts because the mechanics there are throwing parts at the vehicle trying to fix it. Then eventually end up coming to us anyway in the long run to finally fix it correctly.

Not saying in your area, you have hacks working there but also read reviews about the shop. And a clean facility usually means they care about their work, like said above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert PilsuckiRobert Pilsucki
          Participant

I have been lucky to have a local family owned and operated shop in my area. We have built a relationship over the years based on honesty and good work. Heck half the time he tells me how to fix my vehicles myself. If its a job I can’t handle or don’t feel comfortable with he gives me an honest price (not the cheapest) and explains to me why it costs so much and what is involved in the job. They are all ASE certified and are always busy. That I think seaks for itself considering all their work comes from word of mouth.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…