Menu

Questions about Tech jobs

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Questions about Tech jobs

• Creator
    Topic
    Jeremy GordonJeremy Gordon
    Participant

I know that this part of the forum is for technicians only, but this is a question related to the field that I would like for actual technicians to assist me with. I would like to know what education is required and where you guys received said education for being a technician. Also, would technicians get angry if I asked to shadow them for work experience, i.e. work for them in exchange for training and experience? Thanks guys!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JustinJustin
      Participant

Your education level all depends on where you want to go in the field. We have a tendency to hire guys in the lube lane that have no experience. Then from there try to bring them up to speed. We have a guy that started in the lube lane 6 years ago and he is now one of the best techs we have.

I was born into an automotive family, but I also took auto in high school. I jumped into it as a low level lube tech not knowing a whole lot, and learning as I went. Mostly what I know is either hands on learning in the shop or books I have read whether it was for some of the ase’s or just basic electrical. In my opinion the tech schools are mostly a waste of money. But you also get what you put into it aswell.

Some of the Best advice I was given by my shop teacher was go find the oldest guy in the shop and make friends with him. Sometimes it works and then sometimes it doesn’t. If an old timer see’s your eager to learn about the field usually they will be more than happy to share the knowledge they have acquired over the years and take you under their wing. I have been lucky enough to do just that in a few different shops. That’s pretty much all I have, if I think of more I’ll be sure to post it up. Goodluck bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregGreg
        Participant

I learned from my dad when I was young. I used to work with him on my summer vacations and went to votech school in high school for collision repair and paint. I later spent a couple of decades in the corporate world but never really stopped working on cars and kept somewhat current with technology. When I got burned out doing the corporate work I went back into the auto field part time and quickly came up to speed as a flat rate line tech at Chrysler dealership and then moved around a few shops until I found a place that I really like.

If you really want to get into this field you have to love learning and don’t wear your feelings on your shirt sleeves this can be a very rewarding career that will also serve you up plenty of humility. I think most new guys either come into the field as an apprentice from the lube bay or fresh from trade schools. I think either way is fine as long as you understand that the learning curve is steep and everyday will teach you new things. Some days it will seem like you can do nothing right and on other days you can do no wrong. Be realistic in your expectations. You will pay your dues much like we all have there are not many short cuts in this business you have to put in the time to learn no matter what.

Jeremy GordonJeremy Gordon
          Participant

You guys have been really helpful and I appreciate the information. Thanks guys!

RickRick
            Participant

Education is very subjective. I’ve seen dealerships hire people with zero experience and then train them to change oil, do basic flushes and other simple things to help the ELR.

I’ve seen dealerships that only hire people with previous experience in express work. Sometimes it’s as small as Valvoline/Jiffy Lube Tire Shops. Then move them up to flat rate lube techs. Brakes, tires, alignments, flushes, suspension work.

Others have hired people with zero experience, but they have their associates in Auto Repair. Sometimes you don’t even need an associates, just the core auto classes. These guys can sometimes just get thrown into the pit, and sometimes they will apprentice with master tech for 90 days.

Recently my dealership just opened another dealership right next to us. Apparently General Motors can’t sell Buick/GMC and Chevy out of one store. So we now have a Buick/GMC dealership and one parking lot away we have a Chevrolet dealership.

The reason I bring this up is because we’ve had to take 22 techs and suddenly fill 45 bays. We are hiring guys from Grismer, Firestone,good year and other manufacturers. Some places don’t require schooling, just experience in the field. Firestone is a shop that typically trains you as you work.

More about schooling.

ASE’s are important to some manufactures, dealerships, and some don’t care about ASE’s. Sometimes ASE’s supplement formal technical training. Hiring managers see that you have the ability to pass an ASE test then they feel like you have the knowledge. At least the theoretical; side and you don’t need technical school. Some places require both, but give you times to study for ASE’s and attend school part time while you work.

There are varying degrees on school. I’ve said on here a few times the local auto school in my area is kind of a joke. Their funding is under a microscope and there are so many dealerships around they literally have to compete with dealerships that offer OJT. However about 30 different shops have called our school looking for technicians of any and all skill levels.

A school I attended before moving to this area is ranked top ten in the country. I know that GM, Chrysler and Ford sends their techs to that college for manuf training. They also have GM ASEP, Honda PACT, FORD MLR, Chrylers ASSET programs. You work for a semester and go to school for a semester.

It might be in your best interest to drive a while to attend an amazing school. However good or bad the school you can and will get out of it what you put into it.
              Many good techs have purchased text books and studied while working in shops. If you get down time find a tech that likes to explain things and teach. Some techs will take you under their wing if you do their shit work for them. One example is balancing their tires on the tire machine while they do brakes.
              If you don’t understand something in a book you are reading some techs will try to help explain it. Sometimes you can find some answers on youtube. Eric, Scanner danner, Engineering explained and other channels are great resources.

Grabbing parts for techs and taking their stuff to them really helps. I know I’ve been in the middle of things where I can’t stop and suddenly I get a call over the intercom that my parts have arrived. Magically an hourly shows up with my parts. I always ask them if they would like to do the work while I watch so they can learn some stuff. Some guys will mop my bays while I’m at lunch and I grab them to teach them things even if I don’t need an extra set of hands.

Some people, no matter how much you help them, or go out of your way to learn from them simply will not help you. Sometimes they want to get their job done, crush the book times for flat rate. While others see you as a threat. Why pay a master tech $30 an hour to do brakes when they can get a $12 hourly guy to do the brakes. Some techs are just shy, and old school. They won’t talk to you or joke with you until you have earned their respect.

Keep in mind these guys came up old school. They weren’t talked to like we are today. The guys that trained them were rough dudes, and weren’t easy on them. So earning that respect can and will be difficult.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
              Participant

[quote=”Pitt” post=174625]Education is very subjective. I’ve seen dealerships hire people with zero experience and then train them to change oil, do basic flushes and other simple things to help the ELR.

I’ve seen dealerships that only hire people with previous experience in express work. Sometimes it’s as small as Valvoline/Jiffy Lube Tire Shops. Then move them up to flat rate lube techs. Brakes, tires, alignments, flushes, suspension work.

Others have hired people with zero experience, but they have their associates in Auto Repair. Sometimes you don’t even need an associates, just the core auto classes. These guys can sometimes just get thrown into the pit, and sometimes they will apprentice with master tech for 90 days.

Recently my dealership just opened another dealership right next to us. Apparently General Motors can’t sell Buick/GMC and Chevy out of one store. So we now have a Buick/GMC dealership and one parking lot away we have a Chevrolet dealership.

The reason I bring this up is because we’ve had to take 22 techs and suddenly fill 45 bays. We are hiring guys from Grismer, Firestone,good year and other manufacturers. Some places don’t require schooling, just experience in the field. Firestone is a shop that typically trains you as you work.

More about schooling.

ASE’s are important to some manufactures, dealerships, and some don’t care about ASE’s. Sometimes ASE’s supplement formal technical training. Hiring managers see that you have the ability to pass an ASE test then they feel like you have the knowledge. At least the theoretical; side and you don’t need technical school. Some places require both, but give you times to study for ASE’s and attend school part time while you work.

There are varying degrees on school. I’ve said on here a few times the local auto school in my area is kind of a joke. Their funding is under a microscope and there are so many dealerships around they literally have to compete with dealerships that offer OJT. However about 30 different shops have called our school looking for technicians of any and all skill levels.

A school I attended before moving to this area is ranked top ten in the country. I know that GM, Chrysler and Ford sends their techs to that college for manuf training. They also have GM ASEP, Honda PACT, FORD MLR, Chrylers ASSET programs. You work for a semester and go to school for a semester.

It might be in your best interest to drive a while to attend an amazing school. However good or bad the school you can and will get out of it what you put into it.
                Many good techs have purchased text books and studied while working in shops. If you get down time find a tech that likes to explain things and teach. Some techs will take you under their wing if you do their shit work for them. One example is balancing their tires on the tire machine while they do brakes.
                If you don’t understand something in a book you are reading some techs will try to help explain it. Sometimes you can find some answers on youtube. Eric, Scanner danner, Engineering explained and other channels are great resources.

Grabbing parts for techs and taking their stuff to them really helps. I know I’ve been in the middle of things where I can’t stop and suddenly I get a call over the intercom that my parts have arrived. Magically an hourly shows up with my parts. I always ask them if they would like to do the work while I watch so they can learn some stuff. Some guys will mop my bays while I’m at lunch and I grab them to teach them things even if I don’t need an extra set of hands.

Some people, no matter how much you help them, or go out of your way to learn from them simply will not help you. Sometimes they want to get their job done, crush the book times for flat rate. While others see you as a threat. Why pay a master tech $30 an hour to do brakes when they can get a $12 hourly guy to do the brakes. Some techs are just shy, and old school. They won’t talk to you or joke with you until you have earned their respect.

Keep in mind these guys came up old school. They weren’t talked to like we are today. The guys that trained them were rough dudes, and weren’t easy on them. So earning that respect can and will be difficult.[/quote]

Thank you for this post, a lot of good info here. Doing a similar thing as the OP here. I’m changing careers after 14 years in my current one. I’m going to night classes at a large community college taking their auto tech program which should take me about 2 years to complete. I shade tree on my own stuff and have a general idea just need more practical application time and some leading I suppose. I’m reading everything I can get my hands on pertaining to the ASE’s etc. I have taken the online course with ASE for the (EPA 609 certification) and also there intro to automotive service. I’m currently studying up on the G1 certification and believe I can pass this exam now as well. Why am I doing this? I figure even though I cant be certified because I don’t have the 1 or 2 year work requirement I can at least show potential employers/dealers I’m able understand the material and can pick it up quickly and that I’m motivated to learn

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                Participant

Ill piggyback this question on this thread so as to not clutter up the forum since I’m not a tech yet either. I noticed one of the Toyota dealers near me I want to apply shows as one of the requirements or wishes if you will is that the applicant have a state inspector certificate or license, is this pretty common place? I can get just the safety inspection license pretty easy it seems for like $27 bucks and a 4 hour class and test, 8 hours if you get the emissions side of it.

RickRick
                  Participant

Getting your ASE’s and state certs will put you miles ahead of guys without those certs. We currently have a guy that only studied his ASE’s, has zero trade school back ground and he is a line tech after a 6 month apprenticeship. ASE’s, state certs, and schooling will get you more job offers than you can handle.

You should be able to literally get a pay agreement signed by HR that you will be paid an above average amount for an entry level tech, and an apprenticeship lasting no longer than a year, or less depending on when you feel comfortable going solo. I’m taking core classes at my local community college just to show my employer I am worth investing in, plus I am studying for my ASE’s. For some reason employer’s love to show customers our certs.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                    Participant

[quote=”Pitt” post=174776]Getting your ASE’s and state certs will put you miles ahead of guys without those certs. We currently have a guy that only studied his ASE’s, has zero trade school back ground and he is a line tech after a 6 month apprenticeship. ASE’s, state certs, and schooling will get you more job offers than you can handle.

You should be able to literally get a pay agreement signed by HR that you will be paid an above average amount for an entry level tech, and an apprenticeship lasting no longer than a year, or less depending on when you feel comfortable going solo. I’m taking core classes at my local community college just to show my employer I am worth investing in, plus I am studying for my ASE’s. For some reason employer’s love to show customers our certs.[/quote]

Thanks, this lets me know I’m on the right track then. I plan to start applying at a few dealers at the end of this year or beginning of next. I have to stay where I’m at until then since I have a bonus coming up at the end of the year that I want to snag to help pay for my auto classes, plus I figure like most other places they really don’t hire at the end of the year unless they really have to

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                      Participant

There are pros and cons to going to school for the stuff. If you apply yourself you can learn a hell of a lot if in a good school but, at the same time the costs for those schools are unreasonable if you ask me.

I went to school and learned way more then I ever would have in the field but, I also studied 4+ hrs a day and read the text books we had cover to cover. Then had manufacturer training on top of it. I spent a lot of time learning the field. Only to be pissed off in it. Most managers just want it done fast and good enough. Two things that if you have been doing this for more then 2-3yrs you know do not make quality.

If you ask me I would say find a shop that is open 2-3 shifts. Apply to them and then ask in the interview if you can shadow during the day and work during the night. I would avoid school if you can learn from a book. If you can’t then school is beneficial just look at costs. I went to UTI and it was 42k add a CDL 3k add my certs 1k. That is before tools. Tools I have invested very very heavily in I have like 30k worth but, only spent like 10k. I learned who made what for who and asked if anyone ever broke that kind of tool. If yes Tool Truck. If no brand that tool trucks re badge.

So imagine 42k debt just walking in and needing to spend another 3k the first year you do the job and at least 1k every year after for another 10 yrs. That is why I say avoid school if you can but, school does give advantages.

Jason WhiteJason White
                        Participant

The subject of education. I have mixed feelings about it. I started working in this field and decided this is what I want to do, changing oil at some hole in the wall shop. I never finished that schooling because I was frustrated that it didn’t make me a technician and felt I learned more at work than I did in the classroom because at work I was learning what I needed to know, in the classroom, learning things that really didn’t seem to help me in the real world. Stuck with it and finally made it. Now looking back, I can see where that education really came in. It’s as though once I learned to apply it, you really can’t put a price on that. I do believe that the education I have had as an experienced technician from the dealership/manufacturer has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

I hear “Nobody cares about education and certification, it’s if you can fix a car”. Okay, well that is true in any field. Unfortunately in this field, you don’t need a license to at least try. But, how do you think people get good? When I hear guys say things like “pick it up as I go” or “learn by doing”. So you think some shop owner/manager is going to let you experiment on customer’s cars learning by trial and error? That’s bad business especially when you have errors! Learn from others? Nothing worse than having them move the rookie next to you who lacks the tools and skills to do the job so he’s constantly bothering his neighbors. Then again, it’s bad for shop moral to allow the newer tech to sop up all the easy gravy work while the more experienced techs deal with the problem vehicles. Fact is that the first few years is very, very hard and you find yourself loosing your ass more than not. Not even knowing these systems it’s going to be that much worse.

My advise is to go to school but get a job in the lube area of a dealership. Once you are close to graduation they will probably start sending you to dealer training, that’s where your job will take off. For school, forget these big names, go to the local community college or tech college. They won’t make you a tech, but they will lay the foundation.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                          Participant

[quote=”Jasonw1178″ post=175209]The subject of education. I have mixed feelings about it. I started working in this field and decided this is what I want to do, changing oil at some hole in the wall shop. I never finished that schooling because I was frustrated that it didn’t make me a technician and felt I learned more at work than I did in the classroom because at work I was learning what I needed to know, in the classroom, learning things that really didn’t seem to help me in the real world. Stuck with it and finally made it. Now looking back, I can see where that education really came in. It’s as though once I learned to apply it, you really can’t put a price on that. I do believe that the education I have had as an experienced technician from the dealership/manufacturer has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.

I hear “Nobody cares about education and certification, it’s if you can fix a car”. Okay, well that is true in any field. Unfortunately in this field, you don’t need a license to at least try. But, how do you think people get good? When I hear guys say things like “pick it up as I go” or “learn by doing”. So you think some shop owner/manager is going to let you experiment on customer’s cars learning by trial and error? That’s bad business especially when you have errors! Learn from others? Nothing worse than having them move the rookie next to you who lacks the tools and skills to do the job so he’s constantly bothering his neighbors. Then again, it’s bad for shop moral to allow the newer tech to sop up all the easy gravy work while the more experienced techs deal with the problem vehicles. Fact is that the first few years is very, very hard and you find yourself loosing your ass more than not. Not even knowing these systems it’s going to be that much worse.

My advise is to go to school but get a job in the lube area of a dealership. Once you are close to graduation they will probably start sending you to dealer training, that’s where your job will take off. For school, forget these big names, go to the local community college or tech college. They won’t make you a tech, but they will lay the foundation.[/quote]

That’s exactly my plan. Luckily my schooling will only run 7k total and that’s because I’m considered out of district for the college I am going to. I chose it over the local community college because the program seemed more involved and they actually have a huge shop with lifts and you work on the cars not just assemblies on a bench like the school closest to me.

Jason WhiteJason White
                            Participant

[quote=”reaper556″ post=175225]That’s exactly my plan. Luckily my schooling will only run 7k total and that’s because I’m considered out of district for the college I am going to. I chose it over the local community college because the program seemed more involved and they actually have a huge shop with lifts and you work on the cars not just assemblies on a bench like the school closest to me.[/quote]

Even with the $7K, check to see if there are any other programs. We are living in a time where you can basically go to school free. Even if there isn’t, check to see if your employer has any programs for reimbursement. At a minimum, there are so many tax credits for going to school. All else fails, what they don’t cover you can write off on your taxes. Even if you have to pay some, it’s still well worth it.

Ignore these illiterates who will try to give you flack for going to school. They will try to discredit you wherever they can. That’s because they want to prevent you from getting ahead, especially ahead of them. Even some of the technicians may do this, and you’ll find down the road that they aren’t as good as they seem to an untrained eye. Some of these will even be in management. A lot of your management aren’t much better. Even some shop owners will say they would rather hire some kid off the street than a recent tech school grad. That is because of the operation they are running is so unprofessional that nobody with an education would put up with it. .You’ll find that so many techs are guess-nicians. They make a semi-educated guess based on what they have seen in the past. It works most of the time, but when they run into something they’ve never seen before, they are lost. In this field, you need to have two skill sets. One mechanical, one technical. The mechanical part really can’t be taught, you just have to do it. It’s kind of like baseball, you can’t tech someone baseball in a book. The technical side is where it gets tricky. We are in a technology field, which is rapidly evolving. You have to have a lot of technical skills and have a technical mind. One class I can’t stress enough is Electrical. Really pay attention in that class and study really hard. If you don’t ace that class, TAKE IT AGAIN. All the other classes you just need an understanding but electrical is the one that will make or break you. Having an education opens other doors within this field. It helps you get your foot in the door in many places. At a minimum, you will be educated and that goes a long way. You’ll find that those who run the more major facilities are educated managers usually with nice degrees. They can tell if you have an education or not, and will like you more than Bubba “yeah man I can fix a car, man, know what I’m sayin’ man”.

Chad TaylorChad Taylor
                              Participant

[quote=”Jasonw1178″ post=175232][quote=”reaper556″ post=175225]That’s exactly my plan. Luckily my schooling will only run 7k total and that’s because I’m considered out of district for the college I am going to. I chose it over the local community college because the program seemed more involved and they actually have a huge shop with lifts and you work on the cars not just assemblies on a bench like the school closest to me.[/quote]

Even with the $7K, check to see if there are any other programs. We are living in a time where you can basically go to school free. Even if there isn’t, check to see if your employer has any programs for reimbursement. At a minimum, there are so many tax credits for going to school. All else fails, what they don’t cover you can write off on your taxes. Even if you have to pay some, it’s still well worth it.

Ignore these illiterates who will try to give you flack for going to school. They will try to discredit you wherever they can. That’s because they want to prevent you from getting ahead, especially ahead of them. Even some of the technicians may do this, and you’ll find down the road that they aren’t as good as they seem to an untrained eye. Some of these will even be in management. A lot of your management aren’t much better. Even some shop owners will say they would rather hire some kid off the street than a recent tech school grad. That is because of the operation they are running is so unprofessional that nobody with an education would put up with it. .You’ll find that so many techs are guess-nicians. They make a semi-educated guess based on what they have seen in the past. It works most of the time, but when they run into something they’ve never seen before, they are lost. In this field, you need to have two skill sets. One mechanical, one technical. The mechanical part really can’t be taught, you just have to do it. It’s kind of like baseball, you can’t tech someone baseball in a book. The technical side is where it gets tricky. We are in a technology field, which is rapidly evolving. You have to have a lot of technical skills and have a technical mind. One class I can’t stress enough is Electrical. Really pay attention in that class and study really hard. If you don’t ace that class, TAKE IT AGAIN. All the other classes you just need an understanding but electrical is the one that will make or break you. Having an education opens other doors within this field. It helps you get your foot in the door in many places. At a minimum, you will be educated and that goes a long way. You’ll find that those who run the more major facilities are educated managers usually with nice degrees. They can tell if you have an education or not, and will like you more than Bubba “yeah man I can fix a car, man, know what I’m sayin’ man”.[/quote]

I definitely feel doing the tech school route helps up front and latter in your career. Electrical I think will be the hardest portion for me, I may have no problems with it but upfront I’m guessing that’s going to be my weakest subject. I’m looking to get my foot in the door at either Toyota preferably or Honda as a second choice. Or GM or Ford on the domestic side both as second choices

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                                Participant

Do not get me wrong school is going to give you a foundation that once you get the mechanical stuff under your belt will allow you to be miles ahead of most techs it just normally costs way tooo much. At $7K i would say that is great.

I also agree with Jasonw electrical separates the men from the boys. I get yelled at all the time because electrical takes so long where really it is the fact that where I am at I have to figure it out without schematics. If you are good at electrical you will always always be able to get a job as a technician. That is something that having mastery of makes you irreplaceable. As does having an understanding of the way the sensors work together to form the information a vehicle needs to run.

Also understanding how the computer figures out to trip a code as bad especially electrically can set you apart from people. Such as inductive currents, rf interference, knowing which sensors are 5v vs 3v vs 12v etc. So you can have a sensor reading high voltage because it is normally 3v and it is reading 5v you know that it can only be from one of the power wires for the 5v sensors cutting your diag down to 1/4 of what it should be.

Electrical and understanding the way the computer uses different sensors to create increases in rpms, cooling, fuel trim, etc along with knowing how it decides something is bad can make a huge difference and will greatly set you apart from most of the part changers you will run into.

Steve JohnsonSteve Johnson
                                  Participant

Here in Georgia an Employer registers you for Emission classes, your not able to register yourself.
                                    I am at the end of a community college school program attending under the Pell Grant. I pay nothing, my instructor owns multiple shops, and I am working side by side with Technicians that are attending to update there skills, I learn from them too. I have found that this is a never ending journey because of all the new technology. If you want to learn there is no reason not to take advantage of a good community college.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…