Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • rack replacement…. junk yard or reman???

rack replacement…. junk yard or reman???

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here rack replacement…. junk yard or reman???

• Creator
    Topic
    DarrellDarrell
    Participant

Hey all,

97′ Camry with only 88K miles. In overall good shape, we plan on getting years more use out of this car.

I have a pretty major P/S leak coming from driver’s side boot area. three bottles of lucas oil slowed it down a tiny bit, but using about a quart or more of fluid a month. Nearly certain leak if from rack and not lines.

This will be my first rack and pinion replacement but will have help from friend that has done them before.

Anyway, after reading bunch of posts elsewhere on reman’d racks and almost universal opinion that they are junk I’m now wondering if I’m better off getting a unit from junk yard. Thing is, with a 19 year old car it is hard to believe that any junk yard unit would not be in worse shape plus will probably have to get new inner tie rods too?

So I am considering:

1. Napa PART #NRP 261690 which appears to be same as A-1 Cardone part number ($50 less on Rock Auto)
      2. ACDELCO 36R0906 $150 on R/A
      3. $100 for local salvage year unit already pulled or I could pull my own for $50

new OEM replacement seems non-existent except for $800 from dealer…

what do you all think? maybe just let it leak? ha!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I would not waste time on a salvage yard unit. 🙁

A toyotakarlIts me

A local Toyota dealership service writer near me admitted they use remaned units from Napa due to cost… LOL…

I would go remanufactured…

Karl

JustinJustin
          Participant

I do not reccomend the cardone….unless you enjoy replacing the rack multiple times. I rec finding a different brand or oe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy AndrewsBilly
            Participant

Don’t touch Cardone. Under any circumstances.

If that 36R0906 is really rebuilt by ACDelco, it might be worth a shot. By the way, it’s a touch cheaper on Amazon; you just have to wait for a rebate to process, you don’t have to ship them a core like you do with Rock.

You might also consider Detroit Axle. I’ve heard good things about them.

Personally, I’d be tempted by a yard pull, as long as I could put eyes on the vehicle and make sure it wasn’t front-ended. But a good reman will probably last longer.

DarrellDarrell
              Participant

Thanks for all the input gents.
                I think I will go with A/C Delco and hope for a good luck of the draw!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…