Menu

Rav4 Hybrid Fog Lights

• Creator
    Topic
    Mike LipayMike Lipay
    Participant

Looking for a solution to adding fog lights to a Rav4 Hybrid (2019). I tried adding the normal way, but it turns out that the headlight system works on a 5vdc power source instead of the usual 12vdc, so the relay wouldn’t trip. I found a 5vdc relay that can handle the power load for the 12vdc fog lights I tapped the 5vdc side of the relay into the headlights so that the fogs turn off when the high beams come on (req’d by Pa state law). The problem is that the relay is drawing too much power, when the fogs come on the low beams dim down, also not allowed by law.

The way I made the connections: ground connects directly to the body of the vehicle; the positive is connected to the headlight wiring via a T-Tap.

Looking for a solution to this.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

Run separate power and ground for the relay directly from the battery instead of from the headlight circuit and that should help. You don’t have to wire the ground to the battery, just run a separate ground just for the fog lights.

Mike LipayMike Lipay
        Participant

Sorry, Eric, didn’t catch your reply, never got a reply email.

That doesn’t solve the problem. The problem isn’t getting power to the light, I have that and it works. The problem is that the law here says that the fogs con’t be on if the high beams are on. The relay connected to the headlight circuit is to turn the fogs off when the high beams get power.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I was able to find a factory style harness for my Pilot so that the fog lights worked as they should, i.e. turning off when the high beams are on. I would look for a similar solution for your vehicle. Otherwise, you’ll need the factory wiring diagram to figure out how to wire them up.

Mike LipayMike Lipay
            Participant

I’ll look around, but that may be beyond my skill level.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…