Menu

rear axle seal leaking

• Creator
    Topic
    guitarranger11guitarranger11
    Participant

I’m working on a 94 blazer and the rear axle oil is leaking into the brakes on the passenger side. I took off the differential cover and removed the pin and that c clip fell out and not sure where that came from but anyway where does the seal go and I did get the hub pulled out but also noticed that both bearings inside where the gears are seem to be bad and don’t know how to get those out to replacing. Your help again is so desperately needed. Thanks

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I would suggest only doing one side at a time. to have one side as a reference. you will need to remove the rear brakes
        and I think theres a backing plate. The axle should come out. I think you will need a slide hammer to pull the bearing.
        you can rent from a auto part store. I would suggest a manual here. As for the bearing caps in the diff. you didn’t remove
        them did you? did you see any heavy chunks of metal? what makes you think the bearings are no good?C8-)

619DioFan619DioFan
        Participant

The ” C ” clip you mentioned goes around the end of the axle ( the end near the gears ) this is what holds the axle in. look at the end of the axle and you will see a groove that it goes in. the oil seal goes in the outer end of the axle tube ( were the brake components are ) use a seal puller to pop it out ( you can also use the end of the axle to pop the seal out ) to remove the bearing that is behind the seal you will need a slide hammer and bearing puller attachment. you can get these at harbor freight in fort collins ( yep- I know you have hf there cause I got family there in fort collins )the puller you need looks like a ” T ” and will slip behind the bearing once the axle is out ( comes in a set with various sizes ) to install the bearing you will need a bearing install kit or a socket the right size to drive it in. make sure the driving tool only pushes on the outer edge of the bearing race. to install the seal a seal install kit is best or a block of wood and hammer can work as well. lube the lip of the new seal before re-installing the axle. hope this info helps.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
          Participant

619Dio posted some great information.

However, if you decide to service the bearings on the differential unit itself, you will need specialty tools and FSM information also for re-installintion so you can check your back lash and preload.

Participant

Am I right when I say that the oil seal is bad since there is oil all over the brakes and is it hard to put in a new seal without any special tools.

619DioFan619DioFan
              Participant

Quoted From guitarranger11:

Am I right when I say that the oil seal is bad since there is oil all over the brakes and is it hard to put in a new seal without any special tools.

Yes. the seal at the end of the axle tube is bad allowing the diff oil to leak out onto the brake parts. my earlier post should give you the info you need regarding seal removal and replacement. you can check the axle bearing at the same time as it is right behind the seal ( you will need a axle bearing puller to remove it if you find it to be bad ) keep us posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

First be sure it’s not the wheel cylinder that’s leaking by pulling back the rubber boots and looking for fluid that leaked out. 619Diofan has it right on the ‘c’ clips and the axle seal but as for your differential bearings I would leave that alone, as suggested you need special tools and measuring equipment to do that work correctly, besides what proof do you have they are bad in the first place?

Participant

I’ll replace the seal and I have Another question to go with this, what do u look for as signs of the bearings in the differential being bad. I’m just wondering if these are good or not.

Participant

Everyone thanks a billion again some things I’m learning as I go and rear wheel bearings and seals I can say I’ve done successfully and I also understand the concept and design of the differential. Thanks everyone.

college mancollege man

thanks for the updateC8-)

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…