Menu

Relay Wiring

• Creator
    Topic
    AllenAllen
    Participant

Hi,

Following your youtube channel i knew i would find an answer on here,

I’m trying to install a thermostatic fan controller (Greddy Multi Switching System) to control my electrical fans.

The controller is designed to be used with a 4 pin relay to switch the ground to the fans.

The controller has a trigger wire that supplies voltage when the threshold temp is reached, i also have the negative terminal of the electrical fans.

Which wire should go to which pin (30,85-87)?

Thanks!

Allen

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Can you post the wiring diagram of what you got?

JamieJamie
        Participant

30 is 12v from the battery. 87 is supply output power to the fans. 85 and 86 it doesn’t really matter what you use as the ground. As long as one has your switch power going to it, and the other is grounded it will work. Make sure you use a fuse between the relay and your battery. Or use a relay with the fuse built in. I like using them, espessially with the ones that when they pop a light comes on so you know whats up.

Use 12 or 10g wiring for the high power wires, switch wires you can use 14 without issue. If you’re locating the relay close to the temp sender switch make sure you get a good connection on wires and then heat shrink them. If you’re able to buy a sealed/waterproof relay or when its all together and works put a dab of silicone in the bottom of the relay holder to keep it clean of corrosion.

Also make sure you run the switch wiring through the temp sensor switch, not the 12v high amp power. Sounds simple enough but I have seen it screwed up and it frys the switch in no time. Then you’re left with fans that don’t work.

75% of the wiring jobs I ever did was relaying for headlights off the battery. Very similar job. Did lots of splicing in redundant relays also where I knew the old wiring wouldn’t handle the power, and I didnt feel like pulling it all out to replace it with larger wire.

AllenAllen
          Participant

[quote=”college man” post=133785]Can you post the wiring diagram of what you got?[/quote]

I’ve attached a diagram i’ve made as all the manuals are in Japaneses 🙁
            As you can see i have the ground wire for the electric fans, the trigger wire from the fan controller and have to figure out which to wire to connect to the relay.

[quote=”JS” post=133803]30 is 12v from the battery. 87 is supply output power to the fans. 85 and 86 it doesn’t really matter what you use as the ground. As long as one has your switch power going to it, and the other is grounded it will work. Make sure you use a fuse between the relay and your battery. Or use a relay with the fuse built in. I like using them, espessially with the ones that when they pop a light comes on so you know whats up.

Use 12 or 10g wiring for the high power wires, switch wires you can use 14 without issue. If you’re locating the relay close to the temp sender switch make sure you get a good connection on wires and then heat shrink them. If you’re able to buy a sealed/waterproof relay or when its all together and works put a dab of silicone in the bottom of the relay holder to keep it clean of corrosion.

Also make sure you run the switch wiring through the temp sensor switch, not the 12v high amp power. Sounds simple enough but I have seen it screwed up and it frys the switch in no time. Then you’re left with fans that don’t work.

75% of the wiring jobs I ever did was relaying for headlights off the battery. Very similar job. Did lots of splicing in redundant relays also where I knew the old wiring wouldn’t handle the power, and I didnt feel like pulling it all out to replace it with larger wire.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply!
            I don’t understand your solution, when 85 & 86 will be powered on then 30 & 87 will be connected, if 30 is 12v and 87 is the ground terminal for the fans then they will simply not power on since both of the fan wires are connected to 12v.

Thanks!

Allen

Attachments:
            AllanAllan
            Participant

Hello there 🙂
              Here i Draw in for you. Hope you understand.

Attachments:
              AllenAllen
              Participant

Thanks, would i need to run any beefie wiring or since there are no positives any wire will do?
                Also, should i fuse any of them?

Thank you for your help!

Allen

AllanAllan
                Participant

You need fuse on + that goes to Controller and fuse on + to fan motor.
                  Wire size on load side 2.5mm2 on both ground and +. ( im from norway 😉 )
                  Control side not need that big, 0.75mm2 .

AllenAllen
                  Participant

I’ll try hooking it up this Friday, thanks for all your help!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…