Menu

Removing a Broken Oil Cap

• Creator
    Topic
    lothian mcadamlothian
    Participant

’06 Hyundai Azera Limited
      141k miles

While doing the cursory preparatory whatnots of changing oil, I experienced a full-stop, job-thwarting “why… why… whyyyyyyy’yuh…” moment: the ratcheting oil cap will not twist off.

From the sound and feel as I twist the cap counterclockwise, I think the pawl has broken inside the cap. Clearly I must replace the thing. But first, I gotta get it off.

I’m considering drilling a sufficiently large hole in the side of the cap to fit a rod for leverage. I’m not keen on this idea, though, due to the likelihood of causing plastic and metal tailings to fall into the head. Breaking off the cap cleanly (somehow) seems like a better way to go.

How does one remove a stuck oil cap without creating detritus that will fall inside head?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

I would drill a small in the cap to the ratchet mechanism, the put some instant glue in the hole to glue the mechanism to the cap as a single piece.
        That should lock the two pieces together long enough to remove it.

PaulPaul
        Participant

Is it possible to pry the top part of the cap off the threaded part and then remove the threaded component with pliers, pry tool, etc?

DavidDavid
          Participant

looks like you can remove the ratcheting part then unscrew what’s left without getting any debris into the engine
            http://www.hyundai-forums.com/performance-closed-please-post-correct-forum-your-model/212809-oil-filler-cap-stripped-2007-sonata.html

I’ve never seen a ratcheting oil cap – gas, sure, but not oil!

lothian mcadamlothian
            Participant

D’oh! I should have perused that forum before posting here. Thanks for forwarding the link.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…