Menu

Replace Whole Lower Control Arm or Just Bushing???

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Replace Whole Lower Control Arm or Just Bushing???

• Creator
    Topic
    Matthew RossMatthew Ross
    Participant

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, and in grand noob fashion I’m going to ask a question. But I think that others can benefit from the answer. My fiance’s 2005 Cobalt has a bad suspension noise. It was diagnosed as “failed lower control arm bushings” by the dealer and they want $600 to fix it. I’m going to do it myself. Here’s my question: should I replace the entire control arm, or just replace the bushing in the old one? I don’t have a shop press, so I would have to ask someone to press it out/in for me. I attached a picture I found on the internet that shows the issue. Also, if you have any general suggestions, that would be really helpful (I’ve never replaced a control arm).

Thanks,

Matt

Attachments:
    Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Shaun_300Shaun_300
      Participant

Glad it went well for you. I would have recommended replacing the whole arm for a DIY guy too. For the extra money for the arm it’d make up for the pain of replacing the bushing. Plus you get a new ball joint too. I’ve done hundreds of these on the cobalts and have never had a problem with the cage nuts on these cars. I usually knock the old bushing out with an air hammer with a flat chisel. Going from the top of the control arm down, catch the outer lip of the bushing and fold it in, then start pushing downwards on the folded over lip until the bushing comes out the bottom. Then I use a press to put the new one in. Just make sure on these slots on bushing are facing the sides of the car.

college mancollege man

Glad to hear it worked out.Thanks for the update.

vincenzo masiellovincenzo masiello
          Participant

i’m not sure why everyone who commented here is bragging about how it rains cash where they are from. This vid shows that there is no need to remove the whole control arm to replace a bushing saving around $50 difference in price, in addition to labor time (and hence $$$) added to about $50-100 in alignment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_CPLrRlmY. I think replacing the whole arm and doing alignment is a good thing when two or more of the 4 things look bad (ball joint, two bushings, and the metal of the arm) and/or the DIYer makes cash out of thin air!

Viewing 3 replies - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…