Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • replacing a instrument cluster light bulb

replacing a instrument cluster light bulb

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here replacing a instrument cluster light bulb

• Creator
    Topic
    stuartstuart
    Participant

Ok, as i was driving my ’03 Dodge Ram 1500 earlier this evening the light bulb that shows my fuel gauge burned out and i can’t see how much fuel i have in my fuel tank. My question is this……is there a way to reach under the dash to get at the bulb without having to remove the entire instrument cluster from the dash as per the dealership says it has to be done and charging me a fortune for labor to change out a 2 dollar light bulb.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Stuart.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant
        stuartstuart
        Participant

Hey relative4. thank you for your reply to my question, but this particular truck you have shown here doesn’t have the same instrument cluster as my truck does. My fuel gauge is on the bottom left side of the cluster.

Stuart.

Antonio C MichaelAntonio C Michael
          Participant

No matter what vehicle it is or what make or model 99 percent of the time if an instrument cluster light dies you have to remove dash to pull instrument cluster out to change bulbs now depending on make and model depends on how easy that process cab be on 2000 4runners it’s 2 bolts pull out plastic shroud around instrument cluster unholy instrument cluster and your good on dodges and Ford’s you have to pull whole dash because there in 1 to 2 peices

Participant

The video should help you dosent matter that the gauge is on the other side how to take cluster out should be the same it just means in this video the instruments are out in a different location probably because it’s a diesel how to remove dash and remove cluster should be the same just means the bulb you need to change would be on opposite side of instrument cluster

stuartstuart
              Participant

Thanks for your reply AntonioCm, i’ll have to take a look into removing it sometime today, In the meantime, yesterday i had to replace the alternator and the serpentine belt. Removing the alt was the easy part, putting the new belt on was a lot of fun…….NOT, LOL.

Stuart.

Participant

Serpentine belts are never fun alternators could get really fun when there in crapy spots

stuartstuart
                  Participant

Oh the alt was very easy. Its on top of the motor next to the a/c compressor. 2 bolts and it came right out. The belt, well, thats a whole ‘nother animal, but a little bit of “patience” and a lot of choice 4 letter words and it finally got back on LOL.

Stuart.

Participant

I have used choice words on a serpentine belt a lot also

stuartstuart
                      Participant

what makes it worse is when you have the decal that shows 3 different ways the belt fits for 3 different motors but its so faded you cant read it LOL.

Participant

I have a couple trucks like that my excursion is like that shows 5.4l gas v8 shows the 7.3l turbo diesel shows the 6.0l turbo diesel and shows mine the 6.8l v10 and all of the stickers are faded problem is the 5.4l and the 6.0 were never put in the excursions

stuartstuart
                          Participant

LOL, yeah, Fords “better idea”.

Stuart.

Participant

Serpentine belt stickers suck they never last very long I always keep my mechanic manuals in my trucks

stuartstuart
                              Participant

thats a good idea. I think im gonna go out and purchase a Chilton or a Haynes service manual for my truck. That way i can have something to look at while im working on it. Since i bought this truck used, i have no service manuals for it at all.

Stuart.

MattMatt
                                Participant

This day and age, take a pic with your phone before you undo anything. Easy reference later. I got a rear drum brake job to do, plan on taking a pic right after I get the drum off. Easier than referencing the other side.

Participant

I wasn’t talking about Chilton or Hayes manuals they have very minimal in them I was talking about the factory mechanic manuals you can get that tells you every little thing about the vehicle and how to take them apart but Chilton does a good job on some information they just don’t have everything in them

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…