Menu

replacing a knocking rod bearing

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here replacing a knocking rod bearing

• Creator
    Topic
    stuartstuart
    Participant

hey people, i have a question…..my wife’s car just started having a slight crank bearing knock on one cylinder and i need to know if its possible to remove the oil pan without removing the motor from the vehicle. its a 1999 toyota camry with 161,XXX miles on it and im trying to fix it without spending a lot of money. a garage wants over three thousand dollars to fix it but im trying to see if i can do it myself. i want to take the connecting rod bearings out of the one cylinder, emery cloth/polish the crank smooth and put in new bearings.

any replies will be very helpful.

thanks,

stuart.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Yes. It is possible to replace the rod bearings without engine removal, however the chance of much long term success is very limited. FYI, Toyota bearings are numbered by size.

Karl

RandyRandy
        Participant

Yes it can be done. However, there is a chance the crankshaft journal suffered some damage and you have to check it carefully. If you are familiar with plastigauge then you can use that to check the bearing to crankshaft clearance to make sure it’s within specs.

Knowing what caused the failure is important because if it’s low oil pressure then other rods will soon follow.

While you’re in there, checking the others is probably a good idea also.

Good luck.

stuartstuart
          Participant

thanks Greenturdcel and you too toyotacarl, at this point in time im not sure if i want to tackle this kind of job. the wife and i really don’t want to put a whole lot of money into this car since it is 18 years old and has over 160,000 miles on it. we’re thinking about keeping it as a “secondary” vehicle to use only in case our new one needs to go to the shop for anything. in the meantime it will be parked in our back yard. this vehicle has never had any major work done on it except for a timing belt and water pump 2 years ago. it still has the original spark plugs in it lol. it would need a complete tune up, 4 new tires, 4 struts and springs all the way around, and a wheel alignment.

stuart.

Billy AndrewsBilly
            Participant

Ran when parked

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…