Menu

Retirement gig

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Retirement gig

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert PilsuckiRobert Pilsucki
    Participant

Robert here, currently a firefighter but have been tinkering with cars for 25 years off and on. Ive got at the most 12 years to retirement. Anyone who knows me knows I cant sit still very long. Ive always been interested in cars. Mostly from the muscle car era. I have no official training but am seriously considering becoming an automotive tech for a second career. Id love to get started now but my current work schedule is stringent and a two year program is out for me right now. Todays cars interest me and Id like to understand why they do the things they do. I have learned alot on the forums and from the internet in general but am lacking in the electrical systems and theory. Any advice on proceeding would be greatly appreciated. Good idea? Bad idea? Keep it as a hobby? Thanks in advance Robert

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Jerry GillesJerry Gilles
      Participant

I would say don’t give up pursuing your dream. Maybe you can start to study part time .Maybe work in a class toward this once a week that that will earn you credit you can apply toward your automotive degree. I would talk to my boss tell him you would like to start going to school maybe he can work something out. Just a thought ,I don’t know your situation there. I would also talk to a career councilor. They are very good at what they do and can advise you. Its never too late to get a degree. You can do this ,maybe it’s a timing issue maybe something can be worked out . The councilor will give you options . Also prayer goes a long way. Hang in there it will happen if you want it bad enough.

Participant

Thanks for the boost. I love being a firefighter but the body tends to make it harder as I get older. Ive also looked at online programs but they lack the hands on experience. Im not sure if they are outdated or a waste of money. Im interested in the knowledge less concerned where it comes from. Thanks again for the response

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
          Participant

Welcome to the forum sir. I too am an old car nut as well. My stock and trade is things before computers. I am currently rebuilding a 442.

Participant

My dream is a 67 chevy 2. Someday 🙂

Andrew ButtonAndrew Button
              Participant

Worked on several Novas. Couple small blocks and one with a 502 in it. Old chevies like that are great. I always wanted to get a 70 with a 396 when they were affordable but it just wasn’t in the cards. I am a big fan of big rat motors.

college mancollege man

Welcome to the forum Robert. transferring you to general discussion.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
                  Participant

If you want to know about Electrical for vehicles there is advanced stuff on ScannerDanner’s Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ScannerDanner/featured

I would look under playlists as it is broken down better for diag there.

For simpler stuff there is Eric’s Electrical:

For a quick Reference book for all kinds of random electrical information there is Ugly’s Reference Guide (I use it a lot):

http://www.uglys.net/uglys-electrical-references-2014-edition/

There is also one for electrical motors and controls though I don’t know how good it is. I would also look around for a better price. I got mine for $8 at Home Depot. This book is absolutely amazing.

Gary BrownGary
                    Participant

Welcome to the forum! You will find a good amount of information here. Go for your dreams! I dream of one day restoring a 1970 Chevelle or a 69 Camaro Dz302/Yenko 427(The Yenko 427 is probably only in my dreams). I love classic cars too, I wish I lived back in the 50s/60s/70s so I could experience their hayday firsthand. I was born into the wrong generation :(, I don’t even listen to current music…anything after the early 80s sounds like junk to me. Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Outlaws, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash, Blackfoot, etc. are REAL music. There I go again ranting…

Bryan CastorBryan Castor
                      Participant

Welcome Robert! I hope you decide on continuing and pursuing to be an automotive tech. I mean you can learn along the way, right? It’s gonna take your time but since it’s what you want, why not? B)

Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
                        Participant

I dunno where you live but you can always look into taking day or night classes at a community college or something similar to Rosedale in your area.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…