Menu

Road Noise (Humming)

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert S.Robert Soto
    Participant

Hello

I have a 2012 Buick Regal with 170k miles.

I’m getting by some road noise when I am in motion. It’s not present when I’m stopped and it doesn’t matter if I’m accelerating or not. Its a humming noise. The faster I go the louder it gets. It’s first noticeable at 20 mph, getting louder at 40 and is very loud at about 60+.

The tires on the front were worn very unevenly where the outsides were heavily worn while the middle and inside still had decent tread. I replaced those with no change in the road noise.

One of the hubs (left rear) was clearly going bad as it also had a scratchy noise. I replaced that hub. While it eliminated the scratching sound, there was no change to the humming sound. I tested all of the other hubs by spinning them but I didn’t hear anything odd, the front right hub did have some play.

I did road test where I noticed that when I turned left the noise got louder and when I turned right the humming noise almost went away. Between the results of road test and play in the hub front right hub, I thought it was the front right hub. I changed that with no change to the humming.

My next guess was an alighment issue. I took it to a local shop to get the alighnment checked. According to them, the alighnent in the back right wheel was a little off whereas the front there were worn tires and where it seemed like the noise was coming from was OK.

However, they did tell me that the front left strut was shot and recommend to replacing both up front struts. While they said that might explain the unevenly worn tires, they really couldn’t explain the noise. They also tested the hubs and said those were all fine.

Anyone have ideas of what the humming might be or any ideas or additional tests to try?

Thanks,

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Whoa.. wait a second.
        The tires on the front were worn very unevenly where the outsides were heavily worn while the middle and inside still had decent tread. I replaced those with no change in the road noise.

I took it to a local shop to get the alighnment checked. According to them, the alighnent in the back right wheel was a little off whereas the front there were worn tires and where it seemed like the noise was coming from was OK.

However, they did tell me that the front left strut was shot and recommend to replacing both up front struts. While they said that might explain the unevenly worn tires, they really couldn’t explain the noise.

I would be looking for a new alignment shop personally.

As to the humming…
        I assume it changes pitch according to speed, if so.
        First thing would be to get the frontend mechanics repaired and get a proper alignment.
        If the humming continues …
        Your dealing with a rotational issue.
        Have to start looking at all things that spin.
        Brake rotors / caliper
        Wheel mounting .. free of rust and wheels fully seated, torqued and sitting flush.
        CV shafts
        Motor and transmission mounts
        Might also look at the exhaust system for loose components and heat shields.
        And just on the outside possibility, check for any loose exterior trim pieces that might produce wind noise or buzz

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…