Menu

Road trip

• Creator
    Topic
    JPJP
    Participant

In about 3 weeks, me and some friends are going on a road trip. The trip is going to be 3000 miles back and forth. We will be using my car and want the trip to be as hassle-free as possible. I was wondering if anyone can give suggest me a checklist (or just general tips) on what I should do with the car before the trip.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
      Participant

This is quite an easy list so i’ll make it simple

1. Tires. Check to make sure they are in good condition and have plenty of tread left and aren’t 4ish years old
        2. Change your Oil and have your Battery checked. Replace if older than 5 years old
        3. If your service manual or owner’s manual says you need a service done near to where it would be recommended mile wise go ahead and get that done now. Things like Coolant, Timing chain/belt, Valve adjustments(I thinks that’s mostly honda’s though) Belts, Hoses etc.
        4. Check your spare tire and replace it if its old and make sure its filled up to its proper spec.
        5. Invest in a Lug t-handle style wrench and a small compact jack. (I hate most of the scissor ones that come with new cars)
        6. Pack yourself some work gloves or at least some gloves you don’t mind getting dirty in case you need to change your tire or fix something on the engine.
        7. If you can swing it buy yourself a 20-40pc tool set you can get at harbor freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/52-piece-socket-set-35338.html would be good in a pinch.
        8. First aid kit.
        9. Also pack a tire inflator. For every 10 degrees of temp you lose some air pressure in your tires. I think this applies to elevation as well like something 2-3k feet or something
        10. Duct Tape I’ve seen Duct tape hold a busted hose long enough to get to an autoparts store. Gorilla Tape is some good shit or get Gaffers tape.
        11. Last but not least pack some snacks/drinks in a cooler.

That’s really About all I can think of at this time. Just remember when you come back from your trip you prolly have to the change your oil again. Most modern cars I’ve seen it asked about 4-10k miles in a lot of owners manuals.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…