Menu

Rust Repair

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The Body Shop Rust Repair

• Creator
    Topic
    Logan JohnsonLJ11194
    Participant

I’m looking at a truck that has some rust starting on the fenders, but none in any other location. It’s a 2001 Ram with only 105k on the clock, has a brand new inspection and it’s a one owner. It’s in extremely good shape in every other aspect and it’s a good price- but this worries me. The front fenders can just be replaced, sure, but what about the bedsides? I understand LMC truck sells patch panels for this area, but what would a body shop charge to put them on, or fix it in their own way? What about the cost of painting replacement parts (fenders and an entire bed) to match?

Driver side rear: (by far the worst)

Driver side front:

Passenger side front: (by far the least damaged)

Passenger side rear:

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      JaneJane
      Participant

Wheel arches are always a troublesome area. I have found the best way is either find someone who will fix it for you OR you will need a garage where you can work on the panel. You will need to have a TIG welder and appropriate skills. MIG welding just does not give you enough control over the weld.

It depends on how long you intend to keep the car?

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
        Participant

I have no welding tools and the only welding I’ve ever done was with a stick welder. I don’t intend to fix this myself at all, I don’t have the kind of time this requires even if I did have the know-how and tools.

I decided to buy the vehicle, thinking that in a worst case scenario I can buy new fenders and a new bed. The door bottoms will eventually rust too, as this model always does, at which point I could replace the doors as well. Same model of similar year with zero rust and MANY more miles in this area go for $2000 more than I paid for this truck. I know I can fix the rust for that much, even if I physically replace every body panel with a new one. Also, any of those vehicles could begin to rust weeks after I bring them home anyway, (and almost definitely would in years) so I feel like no matter what I’m going to come out ahead.

I intend to keep it for as long as it can be kept roadworthy. I’m doing this instead of buying a 3-4 year old truck for $22,000+, so I expect to spend money on it BUT still be less costly than a $400/month payment for the next 5 years PLUS then I’d have to begin to repair it as needed. I’ve already planned a more fuel efficient engine swap for years in the future when the factory powerplant is worn out. A 5.9L Magnum V8 is not exactly a fuel-sipper.

JaneJane
          Participant

In that case you could go down the cure rust route and bondo. Sanding out down to the rust. Paint with Cure rust. (make sure you spray inside the panel by small holes inside the arch. Spray paint inside the panel. Then fill, Undercoat, leveling, rubbing down with 230, 400, grit to smooth out the high spots. then color to match and after much wet sanding with 2000 grit. Clear coat and polish.
            Should last 2 years maybe three, depending if you were able to get all the rust. Follow the instructions on the cure rust and wear protective gear as this is a strong type of acid.
            See

One brand I use though there are many others.
            http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/111166094746?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95&ff19=0

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
            Participant

So what is an average cost to have that done? Like I said, I have nowhere near enough time to go through all of that and there’s nowhere for me to park the vehicle inside for me to work on it anyway.

JaneJane
              Participant

I don’t Live in the US. Here in the UK the paint shop does jobs like this starting from £400. [$661]
                You might get a better deal locally.
                Jane

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
                Participant

Possibly. Thank you for all your help.

Aaron AbajianAaron Abajian
                  Participant

I agree with Inverlass about the options you have for repair. I have a body shop in Chicago and I tell every customer that I guarantee all of my paint jobs for life but, will not guarantee rust repairs for even one day. Rust ALWAYS comes back. That being said, the better job you do removing any rust, the longer the repair will last. If you can not get this professionally repaired any time soon, I suggest that you sand out the rust as best you can, treat with any “rust inhibitor” and spray the area with primer. This will not look so great but, it should slow the rust growth until you can get it professionally repaired. Good luck, Aaron

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                    Participant

There’s a kid across the street from me that bought a rust bucket Chevy truck. In a short time he had all the rusty panels and doors replaced, everything a different color. Well, it doesn’t look bad – very trucklike.

Logan JohnsonLJ11194
                      Participant

I wouldn’t replace panels without having them painted to match first… but I do have a friend who combined three F150s from the nineties into one… It has the frame and engine of a ’93, and therefore is registered as such. The bed is off a ’97, and the cab is from a ’96 but has mostly the ’93 interior. There are miscellaneous parts from all three vehicles all over it. I believe the front seats and back seat may be from different years, even.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…