Menu

Rust

• Creator
    Topic
    JoshJosh
    Participant

I was wondering on my car i have a few rust spots. How do I repair them and paint the metal? I don’t have access to any power tools or a air compressor.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Roy FrenchRoy French
      Participant

Well, you could use body filler and hand sand. Some auto paint suppliers will put your color in a spray can for you. The truth is it’s allot of effort and expense to cover rust that will just come back. Unless you cut out the rust and weld in new steel, it’s coming right back. Rust never sleeps.

Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
        Participant

[quote=”LanEvoX” post=50923]I was wondering on my car i have a few rust spots. How do I repair them and paint the metal? I don’t have access to any power tools or a air compressor.[/quote]

Basically, you remove the rust and paint around the area by block sanding the area to bare metal with a feather-edge. Google block sanding and feather-edge to see how to do this. Rust throughs will have to be repaired and body filler used to even the surface level with the metal. Then you’ll need to prime and paint. Some companies offer ‘factory colors’ in a spray can. These are close to what’s on your car, but will never be an exact match for many reasons. With careful work and practice, your repairs can be difficult to spot.

JoshJosh
          Participant

ok, I will have to do this over the summer, we are getting a lot of rain here in oregon…but the roof of he car has a few rust spots and then parts of the front and back have the original factory paint peeling off. This is my first and only car at the moment and by the time I am done with it; no one will be able to beat me on the track. Turning it into a sleeper. looks like a family subaru station wagon…but under the hood/drive-train/suspention, it’s a racing monster.

Matti PulkkinenMatti Pulkkinen
            Participant

From what I can gather, you need to cut out quite a large piece of the surrounding metal before you start welding in the new stuff.

Also, I’m not sure that a racing car with a station wagon as its platform can beat the MX-5’s, RX-7’s, 911’s etc. that are out there. I mean I’m not saying, I’m just saying 🙂

college mancollege man

Uh OH better get Maco. without a disc sander
                and grinder.hard to do the repairs. You need to
                prime and paint. For the money you would spend in
                tools+ equipment.Try a local votech or Maco.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

To be honest I’d leave it. The rust you see on the surface is only part of the picture. There is more that you can’t see. That said, even the best body man doing the best body work will only guarantee their work for a year. Keep in mind that’s using the best tools and experience there is. In short, don’t fall in love with a rusty car unless you’re prepared to replace everything that has any trace of rust on it.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…