Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Rusty Bolts: Impact Versus Hand Tools

Rusty Bolts: Impact Versus Hand Tools

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Rusty Bolts: Impact Versus Hand Tools

• Creator
    Topic
    WDHewsonWDHewson
    Participant

Please lend your experience to us on this question.

When dealing with undoing rusty bolts and nuts, are they less likely to snap and beak the bolt shank when using an impact wrench compared to a hand tool?

A long service mechanic in our winter salty Province, Ontario, told me once to always use an impact loosening bolts as breakage is much less than with hand tools.

Today, on my wife’s 1999 Honda CR-V, I replaced the front sway bar rubber bushings, each held by two 12 mm short bolts, 8 mm shank and 1.25 mm pitch.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Tri9SSTri9SS
      Participant

i would soak with plenty of penetrating spray. I had to remove water pump bolt that went into water jacket and I can say hand tool was the way to go. I would loosen a little bit then lube then go back in then back out a little more then in till it came out, I believe it would have snapped if just tried to pull it out impact or hand tools. bolt rusted bad. replaced bolt and cleaned mounting treads with tap.

Diesel1DeeDiesel1Dee
        Participant

Quoted From Tri9SS:

i would soak with plenty of penetrating spray. I had to remove water pump bolt that went into water jacket and I can say hand tool was the way to go. I would loosen a little bit then lube then go back in then back out a little more then in till it came out, I believe it would have snapped if just tried to pull it out impact or hand tools. bolt rusted bad. replaced bolt and cleaned mounting treads with tap.

yah i think it depends on the size of the bolt. i work on diesel trucks and alot of bolts we deal with are larger then the average car so i use impact tools alot. however on my home stuff (like my truck or cars) i will more often give it alittle heat before trying to crack loose. sometimes some penetrating oil and heat can work since the heat will suck the oil down into the threads( or at least that’s the hope). anyway as i said it depends on the situation.

WDHewsonWDHewson
          Participant

Thanks guys.

I’m a big fan of penetrating oils and heat.

However, I usually find that the degree of penetration is pretty low,,,,,even if you soak it repeatedly for days. Heat is very effective, perhaps not so much for the differential expansion, but for the melting of the crud that is jamming the threads.

yarddog1950yarddog1950
            Participant

Most professional mechanics would not be without PB Blaster penetrating oil in a spray can. A friend of mine is a fan of Mouse Milk penetrating oil. He has been a pro mechanic for over 40 years and most recently dealer mechanic for a Harley dealer. Motorcycle mechanics often have to remove stuck bolts which are visible on the bike and not hidden under the bodywork or hood of a four wheeler. I’ve used Mouse Milk only once to remove a spark plug that would not yield to PB Blaster.
              Mouse Milk can be found on the internet and in parts stores for aircraft. I recall that Lycoming recommends it, but don’t quote me on that. Your local professional plumbing supply may also carry it.
              I have read about Mouse Milk on several forums. Some professionals say it’s no better than PB Blaster. Some say it’s better. I have had experience with PB Blaster and other penetrating oils. I wouldn’t buy anything less than PB or Mouse Milk. If they don’t work you need heat or impact. You can buy a propane torch for few bucks and you’re all set.
              I have used my 4 inch Makita high speed grinder to cut into stuck nuts. I haven’t had to cut into them very far or ruin any bolt threads. The nuts heat up right away and come loose. This method applies heat without using a torch and that scary fire.

MattMatt
              Participant

That’s a nifty trick with the grinder bud, I’d never heard of that. Thanks for the tip.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                Keymaster

Impact tools are my preferred method of removing rusty fasteners. The impacting action actually works much better than the twisting action of a regular wrench, of course it may snap anyway but I still think your better off using an impact.

WDHewsonWDHewson
                  Participant

With an impact I have this imagined vision that a severe vibration is sent down the shank of the bolt and it is kind of doing a high frequency torsion bar act, all of which break bonding crud. Whereas the hand tool is just twisting the top section of the bolt, and more likely to break it. But I could be “full of it”!

Is there a comparison to be made here with the loosening of ball joint tapers with a hammer blow vibrating the metal that is surrounding the taper?

jbonejbone
                    Participant

Heat is your best friend…………..

Rich RichWhiteheadRichWhitehead
                      Participant

I’m working on a car right now with tons of rusty bolts and i’ve kept a propane torch handy….i saw a video where a guy was heating up bolts and then using candle wax…just touching the candle to the hot bolt…i’ve tried it…it works.
                        i’ll use an impact whenever possible.

AltoidAltoid
                        Participant

My grandfather was a turbine engine re/builder for Delaval. His recommended way to remove rusty bolts was Hydrogen Peroxide. I thought he was being cooky, but he swore by its usefulness. He didn’t have any impact tools to use at home, but he did own a propane torch and drill and tap sets.

Shaun_300Shaun_300
                          Participant

I use an impact where possible. They seem to rattle the rust loose before they twist off like with a ratchet. Perfect example for me is when changing head gaskets on the GM 3.1/3.4 V6 engines the exhaust crossover studs ALWAYS snap with a ratchet and I don’t think I’ve broke one with the impact. Tight squeeze in there but I use my 3/8″ impact with a Matco 13mm mid length flex socket.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                            Participant

Yeah impact is the way to go if you ask me, and with PB blaster that is.W;)
                              Have not yet try’d the candle wax though.

FaderFader
                              Participant

I also agree with the impact gun. My favorite tool the past few months since I picked one up. I have yet to break a bolt with a impact. That with penetrating oil works like a charm.

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
                                Participant

Impact all the way. There’s actually a tool that I’ve got (although it needs to be rebuilt as something inside doesn’t work anymore) called a Hammerhead. It’s made by Ingersoll-Rand and it looks like a really beefy air ratchet. It’s actually an impact gun (in my case a 3/8ths, but there is a 1/2 drive available) cleverly disguised as an air ratchet. Great for getting into those tight, rusty spaces where a regular gun won’t fit.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                                  Participant

Quoted From 3SheetsDiesel:

Impact all the way. There’s actually a tool that I’ve got (although it needs to be rebuilt as something inside doesn’t work anymore) called a Hammerhead. It’s made by Ingersoll-Rand and it looks like a really beefy air ratchet. It’s actually an impact gun (in my case a 3/8ths, but there is a 1/2 drive available) cleverly disguised as an air ratchet. Great for getting into those tight, rusty spaces where a regular gun won’t fit.

I’d like to get one of those high power air ratchets but , i can’t find them anywhere near me forsale…
                                    Where did you get yours?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…