Menu

Safe and Proper Floor Jack Use

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Safe and Proper Floor Jack Use

• Creator
    Topic
    WDHewsonWDHewson
    Participant

Gentlemen:

I’ve been jacking my lightweight cars with a scissors jack for 30 years. A scissors jack lifts in a perfectly vertical line so it makes it logically easy to place the jack and lift the car.

But I just bought a small floor jack and realize that the lifting pad moves through a curve on the way up. This means that either the jack will crawl forward a few inches on its wheels or the car will pull back towards the jack handle. Or both will move. This all seems a little unpredictable and unsafe to me.

What is the best way to use these floor jacks?

Thanks guys.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
      Participant

my jack just moves forward. ive never seen the car moving towards the jack but i did chock the wheels

W00DBar0nW00DBar0n
        Participant

[quote=”outdoorsman310″ post=38081]my jack just moves forward. ive never seen the car moving towards the jack but i did chock the wheels[/quote]
          Like this person said, chalk the wheels, or put the parking break on.
          When you got it on the jacks, do a bump test. Just try to push the car a little to see if it comes off the jacks. If it doesn’t you did everything right, if it does… well it was most likely to fall at some point.

WDHewsonWDHewson
          Participant

Thanks guys. I have determined that lifting the car rolls the jack in and lowering pushes the jack back about 5 inches.

This means that the jack’s wheels should really be able to roll on a clean smooth floor.

I guess it also means that the jack should not be elevated with blocks of wood under it but rather on the lifting pad.

More later……

outdoorsman310outdoorsman310
            Participant

ive even rolled my jack onto cardboard from the concrete with no problems. i was jacking on the hooks they use to hold the cars on trains. but i had the parking brake strongly set and chocked the rear wheels. then i lowered it onto jack stands.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…