Menu

Scotty Kelmer Don’t comment on his you tube pages!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Scotty Kelmer Don’t comment on his you tube pages!

• Creator
    Topic
    JaneJane
    Participant

I was just barred from making comments on you tube for pointing out the obvious to Scotty Kilmer. Mercedes Benz cars are cool. You can fix them yourself. More that adding thinners to the gas tank cannot fix a defective catalytic converter. After watching his video I just couldn’t stop laughing.

see my response below…

Hua hahahahahaha lol hehehehe I fix my own Mercedes…. cost me next to nothing. Buy a Toyota lol… crap car lol….(more laughing) let me think Toyota or Mercedes Mmmm Toyota really uncool car, Mercedes SLR super cool. Result= RU a ‘Cheap skate’ then buy a Toyota! lol… Love the video it’s the best laugh I have had all day.
      Keep up the good work. I especially liked the one about adding thinners to the tank to sort a bad catalytic converter… It’s So-o funny doesn’t work though, why? carbon doesn’t dissolve in thinners.

Scotty Kilmer
      4 hours ago
      ah, but carbon burns off with the reaction with burning thinner, the thinner itself of course never reaches the cat, just the burning result. I’ve seen hundreds of them fixed this way, read some of the comments on that video of people who it worked for. You know nothing about cars, ride away in your Mercedes living in a fantasy land. But please stop posting bad advice here, Or, yes, I will ban you forever on my kingdom here. 

Jane Calder
      2 hours ago

You know I don’t think you like to be criticized. Hey what do I know?
      Thinners? Does Lacquer Thinner Clean Catalytic Converters? -EricTheCarGuy (Which is really cool)

Result banned

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Thomas FerryThomas Ferry
      Participant

I like Scotty but I definitely prefer Eric over him. Scotty makes good videos in the condensed news bite format which works for him. Scotty’s opinions I think are bit too brash in some areas. Like on oil changes 3k miles is way too much for a modern engine and its harsh on the environment to. He is also bit too opinionated on German/English cars in general. They are just as good as the Koreans,Japanese,Americans make. Yes parts are more expensive on them but I have found in general the way they are built makes up for the parts price. They tend to use more assemblies then just specific parts.

MikeMike
        Participant

Scotty Kilmer How-To videos many times vastly oversimplify what’s involved in doing a repair. This video is not really an example of that because the repair shown is actually that simple. His video of how to fabricate brake lines on a rusty old car that is less than a minute longer than this video is an example of incredibly oversimplifying a repair that can sometimes be difficult and time consuming. I’ve considered starting a discussion here about his videos but not really gotten into it because Eric’s channel promotes Scotty’s channel and I have a lot of negative things to say.

I’ve been watching his videos for years now for entertainment purposes and I do genuinely like his videos for that, but I’m constantly shaking my head at how incredibly misleading they can be to the novice mechanic or customer who is trying to be informed about having their car repaired. For me, it’s like how a Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh hater spends more time listening than a fan because they’re waiting to see what they’re going to say next. Many of his videos contain a mixture of misinformation and really good/valid points, making it hard for someone who doesn’t already know all about the subject to walk away with a well-rounded learning experience.

He does respond to tons of negative comments, and the comment wars can get pretty interesting. For a really good example of that watch his “why it’s dumb to lift a vehicle” video, which is one of his that makes many valid points but angers many off-roading people.

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
          Participant

Thought I would chime in here. I came across the ETCG channel by watching Scotty. I never thought anything bad about Scotty videos because i watch them for sole entertainment.

Scotty did say he doesn’t respond to comments because there is simple too many to comment on but he reads them all.

just wanted to clarify that the DeLorean is NOT a stainless steel car. The DeLorean is a car with a Fiberglass body. The Stainless Steel is just panels that go over the un-painted Fiberglass. Although a DeLorean would make a good Winter/Nothern car it can’t rust! 😀

ErinErin
            Participant

Scotty would be the guy to talk to when it comes to informal car chat while kicking back a couple brews.
              Eric is the guy to look to when you need SOLID advice about serious, complex repairs. When a Sagittarius can sit down and get serious about a matter, it is best to listen. I know, I am one too. We are not exactly the most serious sign out there but when we get down to business, it is ALL business.

About getting banned from youtube commenting – Was it just Scotty’s channel or youtube in general? You know how many comments on youtube are nothing but insults, bickering, or comments about Justin Beiber? It could be a video about how to calibrate a body weight scale and SOMEone will say, “Your mom is a f** cause she like Justin Beiber”

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
              Participant

my bad it is eric that said he cant reply to comments scotty always repliesd to 90% of comments i make. he is also the one that said you CAN switrch between synthetic and regular oil any time you want

BluesnutBluesnut
                Participant

Personally, I think Kilmer is a backyard hack as proven by a number of his so-called repairs.

Replacing a timing belt on an old beater without replacing the water pump and tensioners is one example.
                  Another is drilling a hole in the A/C evaporator case as a work-around because of electronics involved in the operation of the air compressor.
                  Yeah, who needs low and high side pressure cut off switches and things of that nature….

BlackenZaibBlackenZaib
                  Participant

I actually like his “redneck” Repair videos. One thing with scotty is he does repairs for budgets. Instead of charging $200 like a normal mechanic he installs a valve to bypass the heater core because the car’s heat was always on even with A/C on. THAT was brilliant I never would of thought about that. Scotty is a no BS guy when it comes to car repairs. Before i found ETCG id ask him all my questions hed answer. I was watching ETCG for 2 yrs or so before i even got a account on here.

As far as that Timing belt video goes: The customer probably just wanted the belt replaced and didnt see it was necessary to replace the water pump. After all if “It ain’t broke don’t fix it” right?

ErinErin
                    Participant

Blacken –
                      Scotty’s hack repairs are pretty much fine if someone just wants to “get by” with a car they don’t really care about. I think we have all done hack repairs on stuff.

It is not a good option though say if you want the repair to last or if dealing with a customer’s car. Plus for a shop, half-assing repairs can lead to liabilities.

Put it this way – say you needed a cat replaced on a vehicle. Now suppose the mechanic filled the tank with God knows what fluid and said, “OK that will clean it out”.

Also suppose you needed to hire a mechanic to come to your house, either Scotty or Eric. They charge the same, but they will NOT tell you what they did to fix whatever problems. Who would you hire?

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                      Participant

[quote=”Inverlass” post=91085]Why I laughed
                        SLR versus Toyota Celica[/quote]

I commented on a video he did about why you shouldn’t buy a Mercedes , along the lines of ” in a accident I’d rather be in a older merc than a Japanese car ,” and got such an amount of angry rants for responses that I spent a Saturday afternoon having a really good laugh at some people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian WilliamsIan Williams
                        Participant

[quote=”BlackenZaib” post=119385]I actually like his “redneck” Repair videos. One thing with scotty is he does repairs for budgets. Instead of charging $200 like a normal mechanic he installs a valve to bypass the heater core because the car’s heat was always on even with A/C on. THAT was brilliant I never would of thought about that. Scotty is a no BS guy when it comes to car repairs. Before i found ETCG id ask him all my questions hed answer. I was watching ETCG for 2 yrs or so before i even got a account on here.

As far as that Timing belt video goes: The customer probably just wanted the belt replaced and didnt see it was necessary to replace the water pump. After all if “It ain’t broke don’t fix it” right?[/quote]

There is a really good channel called belts towing that does very good repairs on a budget , this dude would wipe the floor with Scotty Kilmer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathryn tinsandwichKathryn Kaufman
                          Participant

I thoroughly enjoy Scotty Kilmers’ videos. They’re sort like the Texas version of The Red Green Show.

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                            Participant

[quote=”Tinsandwich” post=133376]I thoroughly enjoy Scotty Kilmers’ videos. They’re sort like the Texas version of The Red Green Show.[/quote]

Never confuse help with entertainment.

Viewing 12 replies - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…